Fred's charcoal briquettes

Al Smith

TVWBB Fan
Fred's is a discount store in our area. Saw pallets of charcoal stacked outside today, $3.49 for 9 pounds. Label just said "Made in USA." Anyone know anything about the quality?

Al - reminds me of my dad's favorite charcoal "Ole Diz." It used to be $1.49 per 9 lb bag or something ridiculous like that.

My dad is now 87 and I went to the farm to cook for him last weekend, and for sentimental reasons, I bought a bag of Ole Diz (has a picture of Dizzy Dean on the bag) and took it to cook on.

It was actually danged good charcoal, despite the fact that it has gone up to about $5.00 per 9 lb bag.

For the price, buy a bag of Ole Fred's and give it a shot! Can't produce any more ash than the Walmart that I've been burning!

Pat

Pat, seems like I vaguely remember seeing Ole Diz when I was a kid. Don't see it here in Georgia now.
This Fred's charcoal at $3.49/9lb($7.00/18lbs) is kinda cheap. They have two full pallets sitting at the front door, which says they are trying to move it. I think I'll try a bag.

For cheap charcoal, I usually can get royal oak briquettes for $4 / 18 # bag. The last sale they went up to $4.44, which is still decent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
For cheap charcoal, I usually can get royal oak briquettes for $4 / 18 # bag. The last sale they went up to $4.44, which is still decent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is cheap!

Back