Frame rust

Joel Z

TVWBB Member
What causes almost all frames to rust here? The rest of the frames I've had are almost rust free except right here. I've got a rust free one for my keeper but I want to do something to prevent this in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_171912.jpg
    IMG_20200528_171912.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200528_171823.jpg
    IMG_20200528_171823.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 30
It's the proximity of aluminum and the plain steel bolt as well. If you can get some kind of dielectric between the frame and fire box, use stainless bolt you're golden

Yep, that's what I tried to indicate. "A dielectric between the fire box and frame". Better would be a brass washer as then there is nothing ferrous causing electrolysis

Whenever you do a rebuild, just replace every bolt with SS. If you plan on doing a lot of rebuilds, buy some bulk nuts/bolts online and organize them in an old fishing tackle box....that's what I did after I was tired of going to the hardware store for new bolts every time I was on to a new grill. I stick mostly to Performers, and it seems like all the bolts are the same size 1/4-20.

Kyle you got that right.
When i go to MI visit family a trip to Menards is mandatory. I bought a lot of SS 1/4-20 bolts all lengths and nuts. They come anywhere from 20 to 50 in a bag for cheaper than other stores.

Anyone ever squirt Boeshield T-9 internally in the frame to prevent rust? It's pretty common to use it inside a steel bicycle frame to keep it from rusting out from the inside. At least, it used to be before the carbon fiber and aluminum. I doubt it would do a wonderful job where the frame gets hot, but down by the casters and other frame extents it would work.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001447PEK/tvwb-20

Back