Four Butts

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
Put rub on the butts last night (Chris Lily pork shoulder rub) for my mom's 80th birthday party.

I didn't do the injecting. Not really sure how to do it and get the stuff evenly into the meat?

Starting this afternoon after work.

Where should I put my ET-73 meat probe? In the smaller butt and then move it to the larger ones? or Put it in the largest one and assume when that's at 190-205 the rest are done?

MikeZ

I've never done 4 butts at once, but I'd put the probe in the butt I expected to be done first (probably the smaller butt on the top rack). When it hits the desired temp, then you can take it off and look at the others (and check them with an instant-read thermometer). If they're ready you can take them off; if not, move the probe to another and leave them on for awhile.

Larry,

I was planning on putting the two smaller butts on the bottom rack because it's usually cooler than the top rack. Am I right on this?

MikeZ

Mike - that is what I do - smaller on the bottom. I put the probe in the smaller of the two butts on the top. When it gets about 5 degrees from finished, I check them all. I usually end up pulling them all at about the same time. I don't mind much if it is +/- 5 degrees of the others.

I have to echo Adam, if you cook 16-20 hours, they will be done about the same time. Check with instant read thermo. I will usually start pulling the smallest first...by the time the last butt has been pulled, they have been on longer than the first one....

Cook update:

Just took the 4 butts off. All at 195 or slightly higher. The cook took about 17 hours. I had to add some more lump at around 5:00 AM. I must not have had the ring as full as I usually do? Wrapped them in HD foil and they are now sitting in the "BBQ Cooler" for a (1) hour rest. I plan to pull some and chop the rest later this morning.

MikeZ

I'm in Richmond, VA. Can I come to the party, you are making my mouth water.

I did four butts the other weekend for a golf trip and I was really excited about how, even at different weights, they all finished right around the same time. Have a fun party!

i hope yours turned out as well as mine did. i cooked two butts using the same recipe two weeks ago and they were the hit of the party. only difference is that i also used the injection.

enjoy!

Clay, Just be in the car at 7:00 AM tomorrow! Bring along a present for a woman who turns 80.

Brian, everything turned out great. I pulled (3) and chopped (1) butt. I ate as I went.

Never tried injecting a butt, maybe next time.

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
Never tried injecting a butt, maybe next time.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
its not hard. i've done it twice. the first time i didn't do a good enough job of spreading the injection though out the meat and was left with pockets or darker meat that had been marinated. i'm glad this one was just for me and the wife. the second time i used a method i saw on one of the bbq competition shows where i'd stick the needle in and then move it around with short strokes injecting just a little bit of the marinade. like i said, it came out awesome.

Back