Found-Where to find CGA replacement grates?

I always kept my eye out for those extras. So I have 2 new grates and one new gas deflector or flavorizor plate. But really, I have grates that are kinda rusted but I keep them clean and oiled and cook on them for years. Also, just go to second hand stores and look for them. Many times they have near new grates in them. I have 12 Cga and so have several lifetimes of grills and grates. A member here sent me my first cga and I still use it as my main go to cooker. Yes, the grate is rusted and it cooks just fine.

I have the GGs on our gasser and love 'em, but have read where they don't fit the WGA properly (besides, they are backordered). I ordered a single griddle panel (9.375" width x 1/4" thick) custom cut to 10" for our CGA for use as a griddle. I'll likely radius the corners but we'll see. Cost ($44 delivered) is comparable to the Graycort cast iron griddle.

1648322956084.png

Last edited:
I have the GGs on our gasser and love 'em, but have read where they don't fit the WGA properly (besides, they are backordered). I ordered a single griddle panel (9.375" width x 1/4" thick) custom cut to 10" for our CGA for use as a griddle. I'll likely radius the corners but we'll see. Cost ($44 delivered) is comparable to the Graycort cast iron griddle.

View attachment 47937

Let us know how it works out on the ga. May be a bit crowded ?

I always kept my eye out for those extras. So I have 2 new grates and one new gas deflector or flavorizor plate. But really, I have grates that are kinda rusted but I keep them clean and oiled and cook on them for years. Also, just go to second hand stores and look for them. Many times they have near new grates in them. I have 12 Cga and so have several lifetimes of grills and grates. A member here sent me my first cga and I still use it as my main go to cooker. Yes, the grate is rusted and it cooks just fine.
Just to add that in my process of cleaning kinda, I found another new flavorizer plate. I also found a really good shape grate but upon closer inspection it does not fit the ga and the bars are a tad thinner. So I guess it will be used for another project.

Let us know how it works out on the ga. May be a bit crowded ?
It measures almost the same as the 15-bar section of my cut grate measures, +1/8". (I did the grate mod, cut the grate so I have a 10-bar/15-bar 2-piece grate for stowing on top of the charcoal grate). It's going to be a close fit for stowing, but the 10-bar grate section should mate up with the griddle as is, so 2/3 griddle, 1/3 grate...if I radius the corners, that is. I'm going to try a direct cook with the panel in the middle first, but these GGs get H-O-T! so I might be able to get a good sear indirect, we'll see. And grease control...gotta figure something out for that, too.

It measures almost the same as the 15-bar section of my cut grate measures, +1/8". (I did the grate mod, cut the grate so I have a 10-bar/15-bar 2-piece grate for stowing on top of the charcoal grate). It's going to be a close fit for stowing, but the 10-bar grate section should mate up with the griddle as is, so 2/3 griddle, 1/3 grate...if I radius the corners, that is. I'm going to try a direct cook with the panel in the middle first, but these GGs get H-O-T! so I might be able to get a good sear indirect, we'll see. And grease control...gotta figure something out for that, too.
For grease maybe a slight tilt to the side, a container under and underneath the edge and then the grease and scrapings just go into that container. Hope that makes sense.

For grease maybe a slight tilt to the side, a container under and underneath the edge and then the grease and scrapings just go into that container. Hope that makes sense.
Great minds think alike! I bought a toaster oven pan and rack and plan to line it with foil for a drip pan with easy clean up. We did 1/2 tri-tip and baked taters a few nights ago and it was sooooo quick and easy...finally got that good ol' charcoal flavor back in our dinner!

View attachment 47937

That sounds like a great idea. Post pics on the CGA when you get it.

Don't remember seeing this listed, but it fits the WGA nearly perfectly, it's inexpensive ( $14 ), and does an excellent job. It is unseasoned cast iron as delivered but it takes on a beautiful black non-stick finish with a little bit of effort. Note that any reference to "enamel" in the ad copy is in error...this is plain ol' unseasoned cast iron.
1648794962909.png

Last edited:
The GG griddle plate came in today...I knocked the corners off with an angle grinder and it mates well with the 10-bar grate section. After I season it properly, this will be the take-along griddle for us. And this is how the cast iron griddle mentioned previously fits, along with the leftover coals from last nights dinner. I am really happy with the way this grill cooks!
20220401_115231.jpg20220401_115451.jpg20220401_115433.jpg

Last edited:
GG griddle after 1st round of seasoning. Hard to get a good picture when it's that black.
20220401_134555.jpg
EDIT: Just discovered that I need to mill out a notch in the center for clearance for the lid catch...tomorrow.

Last edited:
That is really black for one round of seasoning. What oil did you use and did you do it on the grill or oven? I love the way it fits the grill. What do you plan to use it to cook? I kind of really like it, but am having a problem actually envisioning myself using it.

I used avocado oil on the GG griddle, grapeseed oil on the cast iron griddle, but it really doesn't matter, just a high smoke point oil is all that is needed. It's way too smoky for me to do in the house so I did it outside on the outdoor range. You need to keep moving the griddle around to keep it evenly heated...get it good and hot and keep moving it around and turning it over to get both sides done evenly. A folded paper towel, cooking oil, tongs, welding gloves, and a safe area to work are absolutely essential...I set the oil-soaked paper towel on fire several times (the aluminum griddle gets hot enough to ignite the oil vapor...the flashpoint of avocado oil is ~600°F). I know you like your sear burner...think about a 550°F griddle that heats up in minutes, searing for a nice crust and then putting the grate on top of it to finish it off indirect, or removing the lightweight griddle immediately after searing and then cooking on the grate, and then packing it all up in the CGA at the end of the day.

When I flipped the burgers over yesterday one of them almost slid off the griddle.

EDIT: the net weight of the cast iron griddle is 2.58kg, the GG griddle is a fraction of that (I'll weigh it next time I get the kitchen scale out).

Last edited:
That is looking great. I think I have a cast iron griddle plate somewhere. So now I gotta go dig it up. Csnt do much in my shop right now because a stray cat that was familiar with us chose my shop to give birth. So now she has a nice bed, food, and all the necessary things a mom needs. My other cats are not to happy about it. So this will delay my search for weeks. But the one from amazon is looking good.

Milled a notch in the GG griddle for the lid hook. I measured 112mm in from each side (on the 10" dimension) and 23mm in on the 16" side. That gives about 4mm clearance for the hook all the way around, in case anyone needs the info.

20220402_125200(1).png20220402_125200.png

Last edited:
Milled a notch in the GG griddle for the lid hook. I measured 112mm in from each side (on the 10" dimension) and 23mm in on the 16" side. That gives about 4mm clearance for the hook all the way around, in case anyone needs the info.

View attachment 48239
View attachment 48238
Is that to be used as a lid hook clearance and a grease drain ? A bit puzzled on its position. I thought you had issues with hanging the lid off the backside.

Is that to be used as a lid hook clearance and a grease drain ? A bit puzzled on its position. I thought you had issues with hanging the lid off the backside.
Took me a minute to figure it out. The hooks on the CGA are on the edges so when closed protrude down a little.
1648991370697.png

No issue with hanging the lid off the back...Joe's got it, the lid hook sits on top of the griddle if you don't have a notch there. We did lemon chicken last night (dry brined chicken breast marinated in olive oil, garlic, and lemon pepper). I'm finding that it is very easy to use a paper towel to catch the excess oil/grease so that it doesn't foul the grill. With a charcoal footprint the same size as the griddle, after lighting the briqs in a chimney and spreading them out under the griddle, I put the lid on and with a probe on the indirect side let the temp get up to ~275°F and when I pulled the lid to check the griddle... 560°F...in less than 10 minutes. After searing the chicken and moving it to the indirect side, I removed the griddle with a tongs inserted in the slot, let it cool then scraped it clean with a putty knife and paper towels, and later on in the cook griddled some asparagus to go along with the chicken. Very, very, very happy with the way this grill cooks, very controllable and no surprises.

I drilled the bread pan for use as a firebox as shown earlier but I don't think I will be using it much...it's too limited as to what it can do, although it would be handy for moving the coals around if needed. I use this mod for partitioning the charcoal, it's cheap, works very well and folds flat for stowing. The mod is discussed at 6:50 in...

Last edited:

Back