Found this abandoned on trash day

Ed-CT

Never owned a grill before. Just bought a house so I can’t afford anything new either. Well, this baby (appears to be a Weber Genesis A) was sitting on the side of the road for trash day and it could be a great little side project for me to handle. Looks like there is a plethora of threads and enthusiasts here so it doesn’t look like this will be that big of an issue.

Needs grates, igniter is rusted out, wouldn’t hurt to replace the burner tubes. Anything else? I’m gonna wing it.

With a grill set, flavorizers (unless you think these rusty things can be repaired) a cover, and the high gloss paint Amazon clocks me at $200 bucks. Not bad.

Attachments

• 87891285-8957-4F22-B9C6-89011570CB2F.jpeg
    87891285-8957-4F22-B9C6-89011570CB2F.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DCDC1D18-C852-4974-BDAD-2FCFB021295D.jpeg
    DCDC1D18-C852-4974-BDAD-2FCFB021295D.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 974D1798-CD68-4465-885A-7D8F8FCA1F5F.jpeg
    974D1798-CD68-4465-885A-7D8F8FCA1F5F.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 8E9F01E9-4074-4336-9142-12C55B2D5A59.jpeg
    8E9F01E9-4074-4336-9142-12C55B2D5A59.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 49
  • CA156004-BADB-4785-8C5B-C44B0165D1B3.png
    CA156004-BADB-4785-8C5B-C44B0165D1B3.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 6C6A1FF1-4DF1-4DDD-A1DD-68DDF756152E.png
    6C6A1FF1-4DF1-4DDD-A1DD-68DDF756152E.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 51
  • D750F163-E4C6-4AD1-BCCC-8E3D617EE587.jpeg
    D750F163-E4C6-4AD1-BCCC-8E3D617EE587.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 64
Never owned a grill before. Just bought a house so I can’t afford anything new either. Well, this baby (appears to be a Weber Genesis A) was sitting on the side of the road for trash day and it could be a great little side project for me to handle. Looks like there is a plethora of threads and enthusiasts here so it doesn’t look like this will be that big of an issue.

Needs grates, igniter is rusted out, wouldn’t hurt to replace the burner tubes. Anything else? I’m gonna wing it.

With a grill set, flavorizers (unless you think these rusty things can be repaired) a cover, and the high gloss paint Amazon clocks me at $200 bucks. Not bad.
On track. Maybe get after that grease trap a bit.

The burners and flavorizer bars look good enough to use for a while. If you give the burners a good cleaning and they have a nice even blue flame they are good to go. Rust on the flav bars is normal and until they burn through just keep using them. I move mine around so they burn up more evenly.

If the drip catch pan holder is sturdy enough some paint will make it last a bit longer. If not they are not that expensive.

There are less costly non branded igniters. here's one for about $10

you might want to consider Stainless steel grates vs cast iron. I don't have a specific recommendation.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Ed and congratulations on a nice score! I started with a $25 Silver A myself and they are excellent grills.

Looking at yours, I think the flavorizer bars have a couple seasons left on them. If they don't have holes or cracks, they don't need replacement for some time. If the burners don't have cracks I would hold off on them until they show a problem. I ended up getting a new igniter for $11 and flavorizer bars for $25 from Walmart online, and a Unicook cover for $25 on Amazon. On a budget, new grates an igniter and a cover should keep your costs around $100. All that's left is some elbow grease and you'll have a great grill for years to come!

Welcome to TVWBB, Ed.

A blue head! Not super common. Looks like a great restoration project and a much better grill than most of the tin junk out front of the big box stores. Just beware, you may catch “Weberitis” and next thing you know you will be dragging home three more🤣.

When you say paint, I assume you only mean the black frame parts and the black end caps (outside only). For sure do not touch that porcelain hood with paint!😲

You will find tons of help in saved threads here. One little thing that makes a big visual difference is restoring the Weber badge. You will find plenty of discussions and pictures if you search here for that. Some of us go the extra step of painting the kettle red which will really pop against that bright blue hood.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures along the way. You will get the help you need from a great group here.

Welcome Ed! I don't think I have too much more to add to the good suggestions already mentioned. I would probably get a new drip tray and some disposable aluminum liners for it. The bracket for the one you have is pretty rusty and you can get a new one for less than $20 on Amazon, part #7515. The rest of what you have there still looks pretty good but could definitely stand a good cleaning.

You guys are too friendly. Who would have thought this little corner of the internet existed. I’ll definitely take the advice here and replace just the igniter and get a tank to see if it fires up, and then clean her up from there to see where I’m at. Will keep you posted!

Awesome. Great approach to acquiring a grill. That is a very nice grill and if you fix it up, it will last far longer than a new Weber would for a lot (very lot) less than a new one. That blue is hard to find too and probably the best color of that generation.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. It truly warms my heart that people like you can still find great Silver A grills and parts and put them to use for probably another 20 years. I love the Silver A and have cooked on mine for about 20 years. I have all the parts you mention sitting in reserve in my basement. A number of years ago, I foolishly thought Silver A was nearing the end of its run and bought up spare parts to keep mine going.

You will also happily discover that parts from many other grills will work with this grill.

You guys are too friendly. Who would have thought this little corner of the internet existed. I’ll definitely take the advice here and replace just the igniter and get a tank to see if it fires up, and then clean her up from there to see where I’m at. Will keep you posted!
It starts off friendly enough. We'll share advice and tips to be frugal and you'll then spot another grill that looks good, and then another.

Eventually you'll wake up and find you have more grills than fingers :D

I
It starts off friendly enough. We'll share advice and tips to be frugal and you'll then spot another grill that looks good, and then another.

Eventually you'll wake up and find you have more grills than fingers :D
I would probably already be looking for another one to use as a parts grill. I see those Silver A's listed all the time for cheap!

Nice find!! That's a great color lid - a bit on the uncommon side. My guess is it's a 2002 (because it has an end-cap mounted thermometer and an SWE frame). Like others have said, the flavorizers look fine. The burners look good as well. A fine wire brush will clean any crud out of the orifices and you can check for splits and burned through spots. The old Weber burners seem to be better quality than the new replacements. If you do end up taking the burners out don't touch the screws at the left hand end of the burners. Just pull the burners out from under the screws and then slide them back in place when you reinstall.

Bought some stuff based on the replies in the thread.

Just starting with some paint, a grille, the igniters, and a cover to see what’s what.

In that pic you just shared, mine doesn’t have the temp gauge. Anyone have a bead on that part I can throw in my shopping cart on Amazon?

Weber 62538 9815 Thermometer Genesis Silver A-C, Gold B-C, 1000-5500 Series Grills​

There are cheaper ones on Amazon but the they don't say Weber on the face of the dial like the original. Check out the Unicook grill covers. The 50" size fits great.

Last edited:
Really about the only "critique" I can give your find is to do something more "tasteful" with that left side "table?".

Back