Found a new Weber Platinum for $189.. buy it over the Performer?

Jeff P.

A local store has the Weber Platinum for sale at $189.99 (2012 model). I had been planning on getting a Performer, but at $130 less than what I can get the performer for I cannot decide! Is the single larger table more convenient than the 2 side tables? Any other things the Performer just does better or convenient? The gas assist option on the performer is not a deciding factor for me. Thanks!

Jeff

I looked at all the Weber kettle options and decided on a 22 1/2" OTG.

Though the price on that Platinum is pretty good, when I looked at them I didn't like the way the lid opened to the back and I didn't like the two small side tables. For me, the extra price over an OTG wasn't worth it.

The Performer is really nice, but is relatively big and I have limited space. I have a couple of small, side tables that I place where I need them. I use a high output propane torch to light my cookers. If I had the space, I'd take the Performer over the Platinum any time.

Weber has a new Performer Silver.
http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/performer-series/performer-silver
Though more expensive, it looks really nice. If they had this model when I bought my OTG, I would have gotten one instead.

Good luck,

Bob

Last edited:
My standard answer here for people who are on the fence between two different Weber models....

Buy them both. You probably will in the long run. Just buy them now.

I REALLY like the big table. I can get a big heavy turkey on that table and still have room for my Maverick and a beer of course ;). The gas assist was not a biggie for me either but found I have used it more than I thought I would.

Still, you could just as easy set up a work table beside the Platnium and use a chimney to light.....$130 buys a lot of beer ;).

Good luck.

After going back and forth in my head for a week deciding whether to buy the Performer or One Touch Platinum, I purchased the OTP! Total out the door was $202.28. Looking forward to putting it together later this week and start eating some good food! Thanks again for all the feedback!

Regards,
Jeff

I think you guys underestimate the tables on the OTP. They are big enough to hold anything you want to put on them and the fact that there are 2 means beer and utensils on one, food pan on other. Another thing is the OTP has to be a good 6" or more taller that the performer making it very nice to cook on. I cooked on a performer on thanksgiving at a friends place and that lower height is horrible. Charcoal chimneys are cake walk, Id never pay to have gas assist starting.

After going back and forth in my head for a week deciding whether to buy the Performer or One Touch Platinum, I purchased the OTP! Total out the door was $202.28. Looking forward to putting it together later this week and start eating some good food! Thanks again for all the feedback!

Regards,
Jeff

wont be disappointed.

I think you guys underestimate the tables on the OTP. They are big enough to hold anything you want to put on them and the fact that there are 2 means beer and utensils on one, food pan on other. Another thing is the OTP has to be a good 6" or more taller that the performer making it very nice to cook on. I cooked on a performer on thanksgiving at a friends place and that lower height is horrible. Charcoal chimneys are cake walk, Id never pay to have gas assist starting.

Very late post but I agree with Chris, that's one of the reasons I chose the Platinum. The lid feature to me was the 2nd reason. Straight back as opposed to working on only one side. It made more sense to me. I really wish the 26 came in the Platinum style.

Last edited:
Very late post but I agree with Chris, that's one of the reasons a chose the Platinum. The lid feature to me was the 2nd reason. Straight back as opposed to working on only one side. It made more sense to me. I really wish the 26 came in the Platinum style.
These are the reasons ill be getting the platinum if I can locate a deal on one.

It shouldn't be a problem to find one on discount. Apparently 2012 is the last year for the OTP. Probably not enough appeal. Seems like most want the Performer.

They're still around, you just have to look. Amazon was still showing them in stock last time I checked which was just the other day.

You might be surprised. Doesn't seem they were that popular. I doubt people will be rushing out to buy them although it is my grill of choice.

Back