Forschner Boning Knife

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
I'm buying a few knives this week and need some input.

I see that Forschner makes the 6' flexible boning knife 2 ways - straight and curved. Is one better then the other?

cutleryandmore.com appears to have the best prices - any other sites better?

I'm also buying the 12" Graton slicer, 10" Cimeter and a 12" Steel all by Forschner.

Thanks!

Steve, each person is differant. Some like the curved knife some like the straight. I cut meat for a living for a chain supermarket. For me forschner is a great knife. I use a 6,8,10 inch curve knife.
I fine the curve to work best for me. Also a 12 inch steel is great just be careful, you can hone a sharp knife into a dull one with one stroke on a steel.
Todd

Really like the Forschner's I bought recently. Following up on Todd's comment on honing a knife, does anyone have a video showing proper use of a steel? I've read it a few different times, but now that I have a semi-decent set of knives, I'd like to actually see it in action so I don't do it wrong with mine. Also, how often do you hone?
Thanks!

http://www.pbs.org - go to show Everyday Food. they have demos there, one is sharpening a knife. They start with using a sharpening stone, but at the end he shows using steel to hone the knife.

I think one of the best comments came from Alton Brown when he said to: pretend you're try to shave off the thinnest slice of the steel.

Hey Guys...I am a custom knifemaker...the biggest question I always get from my customers is how to sharpen there knives...I always recommend the spyderco sharpmaker...an absolute beginner can sharpen a knife on this product in 5 minutes...(please see link)
Spyderco Sharpmaker I am not saying that a knife steel isn't good..they are wonderful. but not everyone understands how to use them..they do take a little getting use to.....the spyderco sharpmaker will sharpen knives, sissors, chisels, straight razors, fish hooks, awls... etc...it comes with a book and a video and shows you step by step how to sharpen these different tools ... I recommend the sharpmaker because it WORKS. I have tried all kinds of shapeners over the years and I have found nothing better, especially for the beginner...hope this will help a few of you with sharpening problems...
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd French:
... you can hone a sharp knife into a dull one with one stroke on a steel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is an extremly important "point" to remember. I think one should either take the time and effort to develope the skill needed for steeling a knife or use some of the many "simplier" but more full proof methods which are available. Making a reasonably sharp knife dull with 2 strokes on the steel is not a fun thing.

The Spyderco link above is a good example of a simplier but very efficient system which is very easy for almost anyone to perfect. But, it is a little expensive

Paul

There is a big difference is sharpening a knife and using the steel to reset the edge.

I haven't seen a Spyderco before, but it looks interesting. I'll see if I can find more info. It appears to be a sharpener, not a steel.

I've never done commercial butchering, but in working with game and larger pieces, I've always been comfortable with the straight blades. If you haven't used a curved before, you may want to check out the refund policy, too.

I have both the Spyderco sharpener and Forschner knives and both are great! Make sure to buy the fibrox handled Forschner knives. The Spyderco comes with coarse and fine ceramic triangular shaped rods that one can use to sharpen on either the flat side or point side of the triangular shape. Do not apply excessive pressure when sharpening, the ceramic rods can easily remove steel. There are also two preset angles to help guide you. I use this sharpener on all my cutlery from the stamped Forschners to Global. Also, I prefer the semi-stiff curved blades and the best prices come from restaurant suppliers.

Back