Forgive me for I have sined

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a Old Smokey Electric smoker. Thought it would be nice to just set the temp and forget. I have done four cooks now on it. It cooks very fast and produces tender meat but no smoke ring at all. It is completely sealed so it kinda steams as it cooks. Meat does have a smokey taste but just does not compare to the WSM. My WSM is getting old but will be worth the while to get it going again. Needs new grates and a good cleaning. The last time I cleaned it I took it to the car wash and ended up wearing half of it. Is there a better way to clean it? I now have 6 bags of wood chips I bought for electric smoker. Is there a way to use them in the WSM?

You can get a smokering with an electric cooker by placing a charcoal briquet in with the wood you are using.

Cleaning a pit is just plain a dirty job, LOL.
Jim

Im a new WSM owner but I have to tell you I dont think there is anything better that I have used over the years. clean it up and start using it again
Jay
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
I now have 6 bags of wood chips ... Is there a way to use them in the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. Make foil pouches of chips about the size of decks of cards (pack them tightly) using HD foil. Be careful when packing so the chips don't pierce the foil--you'll want just one tiny hole. Placed atop lit fuel they'll smoke for a while.

Well I was going to add that it's OK to have "sined" because I have cosined, but I figured that might take the thread off on a tangent. (runs and ducks for cover to avoid the thrown fruit)
icon_smile.gif

Get the WSM back in service. Don't know how bad your grates are that they can't be cleaned but even if you need to buy new ones that's not a lot of $$.

Just how dirty was it that you felt you had to take it to the car wash? I have to admit I'm not in the camp of the "cleaners" (hat's off to all of you, though). It's a BBQ pit not an operating room. I just dump out the old charcoal dust and clean the grates and I'm ready to go. Everything else is just "seasoning".

My dirty little WSM is so "seasoned" that most of the time the cover is stuck to the center section and when I finally wrench it off, there are strings of sticky black asphalt like goop.

Think maybe its time for some kind of cleaning ?????

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
My dirty little WSM is so "seasoned" that most of the time the cover is stuck to the center section and when I finally wrench it off, there are strings of sticky black asphalt like goop.

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?
icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, why? You've worked long and hard to get that build-up. Thats a badge of honor!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Al, I wish that happend to me . All I get is flakes raining down when I pull my top off. I guess I just have to Q more.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.K. O.K I'm not cleaning I'm not cleaning !!

Flakes...There are no longer flakes, there is a layer of hard, black, shiney BBQ residue that is at least 1/8 inch thick !!!!! I might have to chisel out a spot for the door latch though.

Al

There's a difference between what forms on the lid and that which builds up on the inside of the middle section. In the lid, you get a rusty-colored deposition of smoke-laden water vapor, which will ultimately flake off and fall on your food-- bad. On the middle section, you get a greasy layer of built-up residue that helps conduct excess heat out through the walls of the smoker-- good.

I wash mine about once a year. I have no desire for all that mold spawning crap inside the WSM. I would rather wash it once a year than to have to clean green/blue mold stringy crap out of the WSM when i want to cook something. Anybody that lives in a high humidity region knows what i'm talking about.
icon_eek.gif

Doug, other than scrubbing with scouring pads after each use ,is there a way of reducing or eliminating this stuff???<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
There's a difference between what forms on the lid and that which builds up on the inside of the middle section. In the lid, you get a rusty-colored deposition of smoke-laden water vapor, which will ultimately flake off and fall on your food-- bad. On the middle section, you get a greasy layer of built-up residue that helps conduct excess heat out through the walls of the smoker-- good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I typically wipe the lip of both the lid and the and the top of the center section after each cook with a wad of paper towel. I then use it to wipe down the inside of the lid, removing any loose flakes. It doesn't take it all off, but it keeps it from forming the big sheets that like to fall off at inopportune times. If you think about it, it's really the same thing that's being deposited on the meat, just more of it.

I recently cleaned mine for the first time because I was having trouble getting it up to temp over the winter months. While I was cleaning it, it occured to me that this was a job for a steam cleaner! I'd say if you had a good steam cleaner with a spray nozzle...it would be a breeze!

I only clean follwing a fish smoke..... Man that thing can stink and I'd rather not have my next meal taste like salmon.

As Jim said, a charcoal briquette or two in the smoke box will give you a smoke ring on an electric smoker.

I don't know about you, but I don't clean my WSM so thoroughly that I would take it to a car wash. If you have a lot of build up inside, you can safely wad up some aluminum foil and scrub the inside with it; the aluminum won't scratch the porcelain. But don't rub off all the seasoning! Then rinse it with a hose, if you want. This won't make it all shiney and new looking, but it doesn't take long and will help.

You can use just about any cleanser on the outside. There are some formulations made expressly for barbeques.

Doug, think your right about the cleaning. Because of winter I hadn't been cleaning the lid only the grates and the waterpan. I noticed yesterday when I took the lid off there were big flakes all over the charcoal ring. So ,I guess after each use I'll have to clean the inside of the lid.

Back