For people with or have used more than one WSM

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
DO you find they all are a little different in terms of temp stability, amount of charcoal used etc. Only asking as I might go up to CT and be the guest bbqer on a different WSM.

I have two.

The biggest difference, I have found, is the amount that the vents are opened or closed to maintain/control the temperature. One may be 30% open on all three vents, and the other will have two vents completely closed and one barely open.

But once they both settle into temp, they stay there with little difference between the two.

I think if you keep a close eye on the temp at the beginning you should have no problems.

Kev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
DO you find they all are a little different in terms of temp stability, amount of charcoal used etc. Only asking as I might go up to CT and be the guest bbqer on a different WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in CT and if you are close and I'm not BBQing that weekend.... you can borrow/try the Stoker I have. Then, you don't have to worry about temps!

Steve..appreciate the offer..never used a stoker, but I think i will be a ways away in Norwalk. My cousins wedding present a year ago was a WSM, and he does not know how to use it so well, so it will be a mentoring/bbq day.

I use 3 at comps and there all about the same! Not enough temp difference to worry about anything!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
Steve..appreciate the offer..never used a stoker, but I think i will be a ways away in Norwalk. My cousins wedding present a year ago was a WSM, and he does not know how to use it so well, so it will be a mentoring/bbq day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would say that if he isn't going to use a guru or stoker, then teach him to cook without it. That was a VERY generous offer though! The fit of the access door, center section to charcoal bowl etc... may have an effect on temps, but if you watch the WSM temp and catch it on the way up, you'll be able to manage it just like you would yours.

I have one that burns on the high side, one that burns on the low side...I use this onefor cold smoking and 2 others that are pretty consistent...boy is it hard barbequing...LOL
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Steve..appreciate the offer..never used a stoker, but I think i will be a ways away in Norwalk. My cousins wedding present a year ago was a WSM, and he does not know how to use it so well, so it will be a mentoring/bbq day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is great to know your smoker! I only got the Stoker to be lazy and like cool gadgets like that!

If his smoker has never been used, it may be a bit different then a well seasoned unit. I know the first smoke I did I messed with it a lot more. I'm sure though having never done it I messed with the temps more then I needed to.

If you do something like pulled pork, the temps/time is more forgiving it seems. It also tastes AWESOME and will get anyone hooked on using the WSM!

Back