FoodSaver Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FoodSaver arrived today. I could go broke buying the bags, though. What is the best resource/brand/substitute for bags that will work with the FoodSaver 800?

TIA

Tom,

Mind you I have no personal experience with what I am about to tell you.

I have heard through the internet that Sears (Kenmore) bags work, the Kenmore unit is made for SEars by FoodSaver. I have also heard that the Black & Decker bags work (sold at Wal-Mart). I'm going to try these when my current roll runs out.

There is, if you are really interested, a talk group on Yahoo dedicated to the FoodSaver and I am sure there is more info there. Good Luck!

I did not care for the Black and Decker bags, unlike the "corrugated" channels that are molded into the entire FoodSaver bag, the black and Decker have two small strips that are on either side of the roll. They are not part of the bag structure, but rather extra plastic strips that are inside the bags...they sometimes fold and interfere with placing the food into the bags. They are not worth the few extra cents you save.

Sam's club carries FoodSaver bags/rolls in a combo pack that does sell for less than Wal-Mart.

After browsing the excellent FS Yahoo list the consensus is that the FS bags are the best and it's not worth the hassle using others. Suggest to find a good deal on FS bags online or at Sam's and stock up. There are many tips on re-using the FS bags for the budget conscious shopper.

I agree with Philip, the Black and Decker bags are not worth the money you save on them. Next time I need bags I'll go with the Food Saver brand!

My 800 arrived tonight and let me say it's fantastic and not a moment too soon. Now I can BBQ any time I feel like it regardless of needing food at the time, and eat great leftovers any time as well not to mention it being much easier to share with family and friends now.

The FS 800 for $100 shipped on Amazon is a screaming deal, highly recommended and comes with a built in cutter, 3 settings, built in roll storage, a 14' roll, a few bags and a small container.

Not to state the obvious, but don't forget the bags are washable and completely reusable, util they're too small. FYI, last time I picked up a 3 roll bundle at Kohls, that ended up cheaper than the single rolls at Wal-Mart. Individual rolls are more though. Didn't even think to look at Sam's....duh.

Since the subject of Food Saver has been brought up, I'll mention my recent experience. Bought Model 750 from Sam's at Christmas for around $100--best I recall. It is one that has locks on the ends. I've seriously considered taking it back to Mr. Sam's survivors. It is hard to make operate properly and I'm not so sure it isn't a somewhat dated model. If anyone is considering purchasing a FS, don't get the Model
750. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

(Hindsight being 20/20, I SHOULD have gotten an opinion from here before buying!!)

That said, as far as bags go, I've found a roll of each width is nice to have around although I think we've used more of the narrow size--we find more stray kittens than puppies--

J-U-S-T K-I-D-D-I-N-G ! ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tom

Tom...

Sorry to hear about your FS. I and several neighbors have the same model. Ours have all run flawlessly for several years now. Heavy usage is the norm around here! I would definitely return and get a new unit.

I like both widths of bags.

One way to save money on bags......don't seal everything you see!! LOL As I have mentioned before....I used to seal everything! You really only need to seal solids that you will freeze.

Anything to be saved in the fridge really doesn't need sealing....3 days is all you want to keep that stuff around. Except for my REAL parmesan cheese.

Liquids also need no sealing.....$.04 zip loc freezer bags are a much better way to freeze...simply squeeze the air out and you have a perfect seal.

Also no need to seal any spices. Check with all the spice companies and I don't think any of them have airtight seals...at least where I buy mine from. Best to keep in GLASS jars in a dark place.

I've got a FS 800, $100 special, on the way from Amazon and I will certainly resist sealing everything in site. I bought a combo at Sams today - quart bags, one roll of 8" and one roll of 11" for $30. Don't know if it was as good a deal as on-line, but it was handy.

With the increased price of beef, I plan to buy several rib eyes at a good price and vacuum seal them. Got some today at Sams for $5.98/lb.

5.98/lb is a good price? I'm assuming you're not in Texas. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Every so often I'll see ribeyes at 3.99/lb. Albertsons has CAB porterhouse 6.99 right now, whole turkey 19c a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back