Food on bottom grate of WSM 14.5 always overcooks! Help!

Justin Monroe

Whenever I use my WSM 14.5 the food on the top always comes out nice! However, anytime I use the bottom grate I continually have the issue of food overcooking and turning out tough. I tried to find an answer online, but all I read is people saying their top/bottom temp differences are negligle, or that somehow the top is hotter, which has not been my experience at all. So, my question is how do i resolve this issue?

It is a water pan and that's the intended use by Weber. Some people don't use water mostly because they don't like dealing with disposal after cooking, but there are approaches for dealing with greasy waste water. Some don't use water because the heating and evaporation of water consumes heat energy that would otherwise go towards cooking the meat. But there are advantages of using water in the cooker, including temperature control and moderating cooking of whatever's on the bottom grate. I say give water a try and see if that doesn't solve your bottom grate cooking issues.

I've written a lengthy article on the use of the water pan in the WSM that you might find useful:

Back