Food dehydrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Doug!

I have had one for a few years. I got the big Nesco/American Harvest GardenMaster model with 5 trays for about $80-90.

It takes forever to dry things so set aside enough time...overnight can work great.

We like the fruit leathers, but also use to dry peppers, garlic, fruits, etc. You gotta try drying some garlic! It is so great as to be almost unbelievable!

Keep in mind, you can use your WSM as a dehydrator as well! I used to use it for drying, but I needed another "toy" to have. PLUS, fruit leathers just don't taste good with charcoal flavor!

As with many "toys" I don't use it as much as I should...especially in the winter and springs months....no fresh fruits or veggies to dry! But, for under $100, I would say I already got my money back.

If you are drying fruits thinking you will save money, it might be worthwhile to check the price of dried fruits. Many times buying them is cheaper....if you take into account the time involved, the slicing and dicing, etc. But, you do have control over quality!

Let me know If I can help in any way.

We've had the smaller Snackmaster dehydrator for several years. It has dried many bushels of apples, plus peppers, various herbs (all legal, of course), and vegetables. We used to make fruit leather for our kids. Here's a link to a picture (note: I'm not saying Cabela's is necessarily the best place to buy it - but they do have a very nice picture and description).
Cabela's

In any case, avoid cheap dehydrators that don't have a fan to circulate the hot air, or a temperature control.

I'd also recommend the American Harvest. I have an older (got it in the mid 80s) model that I still use. This model uses a fan to circulate the air and has a thermostat to adjust the temperature between 95 and 145 degrees.

I believe mine came with 3 trays, but extra trays are available and I've had nine trays stacked on mine at one time. The literature claims the unit can handle 12 trays at once but that adds a lot of time to the drying process. Doing two smaller batches takes less time than one big batch without the need to rotate the trays midway to to get each to dry evenly.

I think I have a new plan for the weekend. This subject is making me hungry for a big slice of deep dish rehydrated applie pie.

Ok Ken ,
You got my attention !!!! Rehydrated apple pie? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Do you have a recipe for Ioway apple pie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wish I had a proper recipe to pass along. I'm instructionally challenged and tend to cook more by look and taste and feel than by recipe.

It's basically a simple apple pie. The apples are simmered in apple juice and a little water to rehydrate then used in place of fresh apples.

Sometimes I'll toss dried cranberries or golden raisins into the simmering liquid for variety. The AJ gives the apples a deeper flavor. They also have a firmer texture and disintegrate less when baked.

The filling is a little more flavorful since it's not diluted with the water that's pulled from fresh apples. I use less sugar since the apples' natural sweetness is more pronounced in the dried fruit. A little brandied whipped cream makes a perfect topper for this pie.

Sorry I can't give any specifics but I've never thought to put a recipe for this down on paper. Sounds like a good rainy day project. They're also pretty tasty in a crisp.

Ken

I too have a mid 80's American Harvest. Adj temp, 6 or 7 racks. Originally for drying wild mushrooms, as many are actually better after drying. I've done all types of veggies and fruits with wonderfull results. I have fruit I did 10 years ago that is still great for pies and pastries.
Word of warning: use it overnight in the garage. 10-16 hrs of drying anything creates a tremendous amount of smell.
Some may argue that if you can smell it, it translates to lost flavor. Not the case in my experience. What does your WSM smell like when cooking? Lose any flavor? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back