Foiling ribs

How many of you guys foil your ribs? I've done it both ways and my wife prefers thefoil wrapped, fall-off-the-bone ones the best. But it takes so much work if your cooking more than 2 or 3 slabs... This past weekend I tried wrapping six slabs into two 3 slab bundles. Not a good idea. The bottom slabs fell apart inthe apple juice, the middle slabs were pretty perfect, but the top slabs were not quite done enough...... Not sure all the extra time is worth the effort...What do you think?

I have done it both ways. If you like "fall of the bone" texture then foiling during the latter stages of the cook is what you should do. My wife and family rather have it a bit "al dente" so I foil after they are removed from the smoker and place them in a cooler.

joe

I have been foiling all my ribs lately. I did 2 slabs of spare ribs yesterday and didn't foil. They were done and tasty, but my family prefers the foiled. It really is one of those "whatever you prefer" things.

Instead of foiling all your racks individually or foiling a couple racks stacked up together, you might try putting them with your preferred liquid in a foil pan on the smoker and covered tightly with foil. I haven't done this with ribs but I have with country style "ribs" and I get more consistent results than foiling stacks/bundles of meat.

I foil about 75% of the time. I too like chew but I still get that with foiled ribs. It all depend on time in the foil.

Dave - I only foil for about 45 minutes towards the end of the cook. I wrap each rack seperate and place back in slightly overlapping each other on the top grate. Kick the temp up to 275-325 and unwrap and baste with sauce the final 20 minutes.

I like the texture and taste of ribs that aren't foiled. I just like to put them in the smoker. Then take them out when they are done.

I just did 3 slabs of BB's today for dinner and had to cover for 30 minutes and we put a couple thick bath towels on top and ribs were like they were right off the grill. Noticed no difference. Love my P.P. Barbacue Magic, Sweet Baby Rays, BB's & The Weber Bullet! Also did a small Pork Butt (3 1/2lb's) all on the 22.5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Pedu:
I like the texture and taste of ribs that aren't foiled. I just like to put them in the smoker. Then take them out when they are done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

I foil them dry or I don't put any liquid in with them. I think it helps to retain some of the pork flavor, and they don't cook quite as fast so they are harder to over do and less likely to turn into FOTB.

Back