foiling and finishing in smoker vs oven

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I foiled a beef shoulder at 165, its hit a plateau at 175 and I'll need to add fuel soon.

Started thinking, with foil on it, what is the difference between finishing it in the wsm or the oven?

ideas?

If I had to add fuel, I'd probably finish it in the oven. If I have fuel left, finishing in the WSM is no big deal so I'd probably just let it finish there.

Taste wise, I don't think it would be any different.

I had to do this very thing tonight. I was battling the wind today with a beef shoulder on the WSM. It was taking way too long. When it finally reached 165 I foiled it and threw it in the oven at 300. I took it out when it got to 195. Good flavor but a little drier than PP.

Next time for a moister finished product I'm not sure if I'm going to take it off sooner or not trim the shoulder as close next time. Who knows since this is my first beef shoulder it might just be the nature of the beast.

Jim

jim,

it was my first shoulder too. Mine was an 8 pounder from BJs. I didn`t trim any fat. At 7pm my kids were getting wild and my wife was giving me the death eye but the clod was still at 180. I looked at the Mike Mills recipe (from Peace, Love and Barbecue) for Kreuz Market beef shoulder. It calls for cooking for 4 hours at 400 until 160-170 degrees, so I figured I`d be fine to pull it off.

While the meat didn`t quite pull, it was moist, not at all greasy and had a consistency similar to a brisket. It was really a beautiful piece of meat...no veins or excess fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeff davidson:
jim,

my wife was giving me the death eye but the clod was still at 180. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing to do with large pieces of meat like this is to plan for them to be done sooner than you want to eat and expect that the meat will rest for a while. Large pieces of meat can hold for a couple of hours easily so start the cook sooner and plan on holding. It's much more likely (though not certain) that you will be eating at the scheduled time this way.

this is a good idea but I was really unsure of when to start. I was thinking about starting the night before but I was afraid it would be done around noon and we weren`t going to eat until 7pm. Seven hours seems like a long time to hold meat.

So I started at 7:00am and it wasn`t where i wanted it to be at 7pm. Not much chance of me getting up earlier than 7am on a sunday to bbq...

Jeff,
What did the label say from BJ's? Did it just say shoulder or what?
I get roast from Costcos and if I remember right, they just say "whole tip roast". I put them on the slicer for "sammies" and they are great. I take them to 145-150 and let them rest for an hour, then slice and food saver them. Better than any roast beef I get at the store for sammies.
I am interest intrying what you had though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeff davidson:
jim,

it was my first shoulder too. Mine was an 8 pounder from BJs. I didn`t trim any fat. At 7pm my kids were getting wild and my wife was giving me the death eye but the clod was still at 180. I looked at the Mike Mills recipe (from Peace, Love and Barbecue) for Kreuz Market beef shoulder. It calls for cooking for 4 hours at 400 until 160-170 degrees, so I figured I`d be fine to pull it off.

While the meat didn`t quite pull, it was moist, not at all greasy and had a consistency similar to a brisket. It was really a beautiful piece of meat...no veins or excess fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jim,

While the meat didn`t quite pull, it was moist, not at all greasy and had a consistency similar to a brisket. It was really a beautiful piece of meat...no veins or excess fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was also round 8lbs. and from BJ's. The meat did pull but a little more resistance than PP. Next time I'm not going to trim it as close and not take it to as high of a finish temp. I also might slice instead of pull.

I'm still will be on the lookout for a chuck roll at BJ's.

Jim

Originally posted by Bob T.:
Jeff,
What did the label say from BJ's? Did it just say shoulder or what?

The label says Beef shoulder muscle when you buy the whole one or chuck shoulder roast when you buy a cut and trimmed one.
Mike

I'm still will be on the lookout for a chuck roll at BJ's.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim if you can't find a chuck roll in the case at BJ's ask them for one, thats what all the chuck roasts and steaks are cut out of and they always have some in the cooler.

Mike

Back