Foiled ribs?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I have read 2 schools of thought on this curious how you all do it. Some say to wrap ribs tightly others say leave a bit of open space so they braise rather than steam. Doing St.Louis spares for the game tomorrow.

Thanks,
Eric

you're going to get a lot of varying opinions on this
icon_smile.gif

I don't foil often, but if I need to I wrap tight.

Kev

I too am one that almost never foils ribs. In fact I have gotten to where I put them on the smoker and just leave them alone for 5 hours. That usually is enough for them to be just about right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
I too am one that almost never foils ribs. In fact I have gotten to where I put them on the smoker and just leave them alone for 5 hours. That usually is enough for them to be just about right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. I'm too lazy to foil 10+ racks of ribs.

Set, forget, drink beer... Boom done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K McCarthy:

I don't foil often, but if I need to I wrap tight.

Kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you did there....
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so they braise rather than steam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's pretty much the same thing. What would make it more of a braise would be the quantity of liquid added to the foil and/or that amount, if any, and what the ribs exude.

I foil probably more than half the time. If I'm going to bother I add some liquid, often juice or stock reductions or a combo thereof, but not that much. Ribs don't exude much either in the way of liquid. I'd be hard pressed to call it a braise. I add a couple, three or four tablespoons, depending on rack size, and foil tight (without puncturing the foil!).

Brisket: I add nothing to the foil. Still, so much is exuded I do call it a braise. I leave a some space on the sides as well as headspace but crimp tightly above the meat to seal.

Pretty much what KK said, ribs tight meat side down, brisket semi tight double foiled.

Thanks for the feedback, ribs taste great, tender but a bit fatty, maybe need to try to trim them a bit more or go low and slow next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
I too am one that almost never foils ribs. In fact I have gotten to where I put them on the smoker and just leave them alone for 5 hours. That usually is enough for them to be just about right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree wiyh Ken & Mike. I don't foil anything during a cook.

I foil for my wife's ribs. She loves them FOTB and on the moist side, so foiling does it. I also foil blade ends so they don't dry out. When I foil I usually add some apple juice and a bit of Q sauce.

I just tried a new way illustrated by Jamie Purviance on one of his Weber Nation clips. Ran the ribs as normal without foil up until the last 1/2 hour. Sauced them then wrapped in foil for that half hour.

Best ones yet but I'm still learning.

Can't even imagine. I will not eat ribs sauced during cooking. Can't even look at them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> tender but a bit fatty, maybe need to try to trim them a bit more or go low and slow next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I don't bother trimming ribs other than making SLCs but you can. You can also simply cook lower (for me that means ~275, though 250-260 is fine; I see no reason to cook lower) for longer - till deeply colored - then foil with some reductions and cook to tender. Finish out of the foil for a few minutes for bark texture and appearance.

Since we are talking about foiling ribs.....

I believe that foiling for an hour plus will result in fall of the bone ribs. I like them like that as much as I like them to retain some chew also. I cooked 8 racks once for a party with 4 being foiled that resulted in fall of the bone tender, and the other four with no foil and they had a little chewy. Both were delicious and had a nice crusty bark (a little more on the non foil) but the fall of the bone ribs were gone first and almost everyone agreed they liked the fall of the bone better. What do you folks like, fall of the bone or a little chew to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dom R:
Since we are talking about foiling ribs.....
What do you folks like, fall of the bone or a little chew to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grew up on FOTB ribs, always tasted mushy to me but my Lady enjoys them. I like them with some bite and texture.
You might want to start a new thread on this, as I'm sure you'll get alot of opinions.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Can't even imagine. I will not eat ribs sauced during cooking. Can't even look at them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin,

You need to expand your horizons, my friend!

icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

LOL,

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dom R:
What do you folks like, fall of the bone or a little chew to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer FOTB with a little chew.
icon_smile.gif
I say that in jest because my last batch without foil was perfect. You left teeth marks but your bite pulled off the bone perfectly. I have to thank this board for teaching me the art of being done by a toothpick.

So no, I don't care for foil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kevin, Kevin, Kevin,You need to expand your horizons, my friend! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll let others 'enjoy' the whole gooey meat-candy thing.
icon_smile.gif

I have been cooking @ ~275° for ~3 hrs till I like the bark, foil for ~40-60 mins till tender, then back on for 20 mins to get the bark back where I want it.

I foil them tight and put them meat side down when they go back on. Meat up when not in foil.

However, after foiling 10 racks last week and 15 a couple weeks before, I am going to go unfoiled for awhile.

I find that if I don't foil they end up smokier than I like them. Cook for a couple hours, foil (yes with a bit of sauce or apple juice) for an hour + or so, then open and glaze with BBQ sauce and let cook for another 30 mins to crust up a bit. **** I'm getting hungry.

Back