Foiled Ribs (ingredients)

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
For those of you who do use foil, what kind of liquid or seasonings do you put inside your foil pouches? I know that many love to add fruit juices and sugars. I do foil ribs at times to add a flavor profile, then I combine some of those drippings with my sauce to make a nice finishing sauce or glaze.

What do you use, if anything?

Usually 1/4 cup apple juice or white wine
icon_smile.gif

I've been using fruit juice (either pineapple or apple). But I noticed in the last episode of BBQ Pitmasters that some of those guys were using squeeze margarine, honey, sugar.

I've tried Alton Brown's method a few times. He puts a mixture inside the foil:
* 1 cup white wine
* 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped

I have only used pineapple juice and it has worked well, but I also saw on BBQ Pitmasters that Johnny Trigg was putting honey, brown sugar and other items but no actual liquid. For those in the know was that margarine that he also squeezed on, and is there anything else to use? I wanted to try this on my next batch of ribs to see how it worked.

the combo of parkay, honey and brown sugar seems to be a popular thing at comps. I witnessed a neighboring team doing it and ask him about it and he said he learned it at a class. I tasted his ribs and they weren't bad (mine did better with the judges
icon_biggrin.gif
) but I didn't notice that the foil mix did much.

I like to keep my foil dry because I felt I was getting a washed out flavor (almost like the ribs were boiled) when I used apple juice.

I'm curious to try out the drier ingredients to see if they can improve my ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
I have only used pineapple juice and it has worked well, but I also saw on BBQ Pitmasters that Johnny Trigg was putting honey, brown sugar and other items but no actual liquid. For those in the know was that margarine that he also squeezed on, and is there anything else to use? I wanted to try this on my next batch of ribs to see how it worked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I saw Trigg doing that the other night. He also sprinkled something white inside the pouch. Couldn't tell if it was minced onion or not, but it came out flakey. Mixon mentioned that he had done the butter/brown sugar/honey combo before, but now he's going with light spritzes of water and juice.

Reduced pineapple and tamarind (not tamarind 'nectar'); no seasonings - and never sugar/honey, etc.

i think the combo of honey, brown sugar even with margarine is a little too sweet for my tastebuds. I like sweetness, but not overly sweet meat. I prefer the spraying of juices

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Reduced pineapple and tamarind (not tamarind 'nectar'); no seasonings - and never sugar/honey, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can vouch for that one Kevin. I remember when you first posted that concoction and wow it adds a perfectly fruity sweetness (not overpowering) with a nice twang to it. Pork kind of screams for fruit notes.

Kevin, or others, I'm curious to know if you use straight pineapple juice if there's a smaller window for foiling because of the Bromelan.

Heat deactivates bromelain. If I use canned it has already been deactivated due to pasteurization. If I press it fresh it is deactivated when I heat it to reduce it before use. (I reduce juices to concentrate their flavors, important if one is looking to add a flavor layer, my whole point in adding juices in the first place.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Heat deactivates bromelain. If I use canned it has already been deactivated due to pasteurization. If I press it fresh it is deactivated when I heat it to reduce it before use. (I reduce juices to concentrate their flavors, important if one is looking to add a flavor layer, my whole point in adding juices in the first place.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I like to reduce the juices as well. I have started buying the frozen juice that needs to have water added...and I just don't add the water, this saves me time because I don't have to reduce.

Weldon

I've used apple juice and other fruit juice.

I just listened to a podcast of a round-table of BBQ pros (The BBQ Central Show), and they mentioned the growing use of squeeze margarine products (e.g., I Can't Believe It's Not Butter).

May have to try it. I have 14 lbs of spares under rub right now for my MLK weekend cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">use of squeeze margarine products </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My next experiment is going to be along the lines of larding the foil. but instead of margarine, I'm going to dip into my stores of bacon grease.

Back