Foiled brisket

Mike Felt

TVWBB Member
Due to a time crunch, I'm going to need to shortcut and foil a brisket. I have a 7.5 pound whole brisket. Assuming it cooks at 250 degrees, how long to you think it will take to get to 165 degrees internal, then I can foil it and finish it in the oven, or crank up the WSM to cook at 300. Thanks.

It probably won't take longer than 4 hours to get to 165, I woudln't imagine.

You sure that is a whole brisket? Or just a whole flat? It's a on the very light weight end for a trimmed whole brisket. Could be, just more common for that to be the flat weight.

Anyhow, I'd plan on around no more than 4 hours to get to 165. Could be an hour less than that, even. Just depends.

Good luck.

Yes, point+flat. The butcher may have trimmed it aggressively. One end was pretty much cut off, but he left me a good fat cap. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...then I can foil it and finish it in the oven, or crank up the WSM to cook at 300... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can wait till the brisket breaks plateau before cranking the heat, do.

Unless I need the cooker for something else I just finish it there. Remember that finishing at a higher temp means a bit more of a bump during resting. Factor that in.

The meat is on!

Got an earlier start than planned, so hopefully I won't need to foil it. Started the fire via Minion method and the meat went on at 7am. Beautiful day - 50 and light rain. Now, if the new Kingsford will just perform, I should be OK.

Mike - how did the cook go. Should be about done, right?

I'm guessing at only 7.5 pound, that sucker won't go much past 4 p.m. Which means... it might be about to come off.

anyhow, let us know how it went.

It came off at 5pm when it hit 190 internal temp. Mixed bag -- chopped point was great, the sliced flat was a bit dry. I know I didn't overcook it, but think maybe I cooked at too high a temp. Lid temp ran 250-260 for the length of the cook. The new Kingsford performed well. Could have run 12 hours..I used the minion method.

Mike - my last brisket was cooked to about 190 in the flat (forgot about it a little too long) and it was dry. I find that once it hits 190, it really does get too dry. higher 180s works better for me.

but, all that said, each piece of meat varies one to another. Glad it turned out well though...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
Mike - my last brisket was cooked to about 190 in the flat (forgot about it a little too long) and it was dry. I find that once it hits 190, it really does get too dry. higher 180s works better for me.

but, all that said, each piece of meat varies one to another. Glad it turned out well though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a sam's club Brisket, was probably only 5-8lbs (I am not sure of the cut, being a newbie) and started at 9AM expecting to do the oven finish. I misread my top vent mounted thermometer as 250 instead of the true reading of 225, which I caught at about 1PM. Opening the vents and getting it up to 250-260 for the last bit (and even some 275 for 'good measure'). Took the Brisket off around 5 (internal of 209 due to external circumstances, but was shooting for 205 since that was what the "Smoked and Oven Finished" plan called for) and rested it for 30 minutes. It ended up good, but dry. So, when I do the next one this weekend, what do I do for temperature. Is 185-190 the max? And how long per pound can I estimate it taking? I was so afraid of eating after 10PM that I was shocked it was done that early. All advice will be appreciated!

Try foiling in the 160s and pulling ~188. (Feel it at that point as well with your probe.) See what you think.

Figure 1-1.5hrs/lb but that will depend on cook temp and temp of meat when it goes into the cooker.

Welcome to the board.

Back