foil for air leaks

If I was worried about air leaks I'd close all the vents. Maybe that wouldn't work too well!
icon_cool.gif

If your smoker looks more oval than round and leaks badly then maybe you need some replacement parts but i wouldn't bother at all.

I guess i am a perfectionist. I do not want to see even a hint of smoke from a seam. Run lean and mean with the fuel. Have been foiling the lid center piece replacement since i got the WSM. Maybe with a lot of builup smoke would not escape from the seam.

My cooker is rather leaky and I do it if I am cold smoking or milking a sub-200 degree temp for things like jerky or bacon. Otherwise, no.

One time I had an anomalous cook with high temps that wouldn't come down even with all vents closed. I figured I was drawing air through a seam. I make sure there are no visible gaps by spinning the sections until they fit and never had a problem since.

I don't think I've seen smoke leak from the lower seam, I assume air would be drawing in there.

IMO you want some air flow to keep proper combustion and to dry the bark. I think offsets need to be air tight because they are tough to keep up to temp.

Back