"Floridian" BBQ Sauce

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Growing up in Clearwater, Florida, I remember going to my Uncle’s house in Jacksonville. He made ribs on the grill that stuck in my mind as the best-tasting ever ! The flavor of the “burned-on” sauce lingered with me....

When I got older, I’ve searched for recipes for a sauce to duplicate what I remember....the closest I’ve come is this sauce. Never seen anything quite like it in the books, etc (it’s the cloves !).....it’s our favorite...

This is from Jane Nickerson’s “Florida Cookbook”....available here

This cookbook gives a great “tour” of the State of Florida and the culinary diversity you find there....from the Latin and Jewish influence in South Florida, to the Greeks in Tarpon Springs, to the “Southern” BBQ in northern Florida (that's NOT an oxymoron !). It’s just a plus that the cookbook is published by the University of Florida Press (Go Gators !)

I also use her cole slaw recipe (apples ????) that I’ll post later for topping pulled pork...

4 TBS oil
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (I use more; we LIKE garlic !)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste (I use Hunt’s)
1 can (6 oz) water
½ cp vinegar (I’ve used white or cider; we like the white)
2 TBS sugar
4 whole cloves (I throw in more; I can’t count)
1 TBS Worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
Few drops hot sauce (I add more when my wife’s not looking !)

Heat 1 TBS oil in a 1 qt saucepan until it is hot but not smoking. Cook onion and garlic in it, until golden. (My note : Start the onion first...add the garlic later ! If you dump both in at the same time, the garlic burns way before the onion is done)

Add tomato paste. Gradually add water, stirring until smooth. Add remaining 3 TBS oil and the other ingredients.

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about an hour.

Yield : 1 pint

Note : Keep sauce on hand in refrigerator, tightly covered, and use in preparing chicken, beef, or pork ribs, fish, hamburgers, chops and steaks. Remove the cloves and bay leaf as you use the sauce.

(My notes : We’ve only used this on chicken (the wife’s favorite) and ribs....never tried the other meats. It seems to get “sweeter” when left in the fridge....I like it better when it’s “fresh”....clears out the sinuses <g> !)

Comments welcome !

Dean....

Dean,

This sounds like a great recipe. I will definitely try this on my next rib cook. I have been making Steve's #5 sauce for all my cooks lately and it is fantastic, but I am looking at making something different. Thanks for the recipe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Piccolo:
Dean,

This sounds like a great recipe. I will definitely try this on my next rib cook. I have been making Steve's #5 sauce for all my cooks lately and it is fantastic, but I am looking at making something different. Thanks for the recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott,

Funny you should post ! I was on a "sauce cooking" spree yesterday, getting ready for some company (and ribs) tomorrow.....made a batch of the "Floridian", along with my first batch of Steve's No 5, and a batch of Kevin's "Kinda Carolina"....all 3 tasted so great I couldn't stand not having any meat on the grill !!!!

Let me know what you think....good, bad, or ugly !!

Dean...

Back