"Florida" Cookbook Coleslaw

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Here is the Slaw I use for topping pulled pork, and just eating in general
icon_smile.gif
I use more garlic, cause I LIKE garlic...Good stuff !

This is from Jane Nickerson’s “Florida Cookbook”....available here...

This cookbook gives a great “tour” of the State of Florida and the culinary diversity you find there....from the Latin and Jewish influence in South Florida, to the Greeks in Tarpon Springs, to the “Southern” BBQ in northern Florida (that's NOT an oxymoron !). It’s just a plus that the cookbook is published by the University of Florida Press (Go Gators !)

My Own Cole Slaw

Cole slaw is a favorite throughout Florida, as indeed it is elsewhere in this country. It shows up at cook-outs and patio suppers. It is as essential to a fish fry as fish.

1 medium head cabbage
1 tsp (scant) salt
1 clove garlic, peeled and split
3 TBS olive or other salad oil
1 TBS wine vinegar
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp dry mustard
Several grinds black pepper
1/4 cup minced parsley
1 crisp, tart, eating apple (like a Jonathan)
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion rings
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS plain unflavored yogurt or sour cream

1. Remove any tough or damaged outside leaves and wash cabbage and quarter it. Cut out and discard the center core. Arrange on a cutting board and with a razor-sharp chef's knife cut each quarter in thin shreds. Measure; there should be about a quart of shredded cabbage.

2. Put the salt in a salad bowl. Rub a piece of the cut garlic in it, then rub the garlic around the entire inside of the bowl. Discard the garlic.

3. To the bowl add the oil, vinegar, dill, celery seed, mustard, and pepper. Beat together with a fork until well blended, then quickly add the cabbage and parsley. Toss until the cabbage is well coated with the oil-vinegar mixture.

4. Quarter but do not peel the apple. Remove the core and slice each quarter across in thin pieces. Add the apple and onion to the cabbage. Toss lightly. Taste for seasoning, adding more to taste. Cover tightly. Refrigerate an hour or, if more convenient, refrigerate for several hours, until serving time.

5. Combine the mayonnaise and yogurt, stirring until blended. Serve the cole slaw, to be added as desired.

Yield : 8 or more servings.

Enjoy !

Dean...

Back