Flipping butts

Originally posted by doug gillis:
wait a minute- maybe I have it wrong but thought I was or am doing it right- I put my butts with the fat side up in order to have drippings seep down to keep meat moist.
I cook the same as you and thought I was doing it right... Wait, maybe they're all doing it wrong.

People cook the fat down to prevent the bottom from burning. Briskets are done the same way. I would cook a brisket that way... maybe.

Seriously, maybe I'll do one each way next time to see if I can tell a difference.

Originally posted by doug gillis:
wait a minute- maybe I have it wrong but thought I was or am doing it right- I put my butts with the fat side up in order to have drippings seep down to keep meat moist. I don't even worry about flipping as the whole piece just cooks as if were in an oven. The sticking to rack is so minimumn if at all. Juices run downward. I'm wondering if smoking a turkey breast down would create a moisture breast- any advice would be appreciated. Turkey time is approaching and I want to smoke some!
Ok, that's a myth that fat runs into the meat. Here's what happens. As the fat cap melts away it runs down over the outside of the meat, not through the meat. Put a pat of butter ontop of a steak right after you remove it from the grill and watch what happens. So at best it will keep some parts of the very outside of a butt moist, but the hot air will dry it up quite quickly. Fat cap down protects the meat from the heat coming up from below. Now as far as cooking a Turkey, breast side down, yes that will keep the breast more moist. It forces the juices already present inside the bird down in the breast.
icon_wink.gif
Most flip it breast side about 1/2 way through the cook, or for the resting period. HTH

Back