Flavorizer Bars…Do They Really Make a Difference You Can Taste?

KevinUSA

TVWBB Member
"One major advantage to grilling with the lid closed is controlling flare ups. Weber grills are designed and engineered to eliminate flare ups. This is done by our legendary flavorizer bar system. The flavorizer bars system is the heart of Weber® Gas Grills. A single row of Flavorizer® Bars eliminates annoying flare-ups by vaporizing juices and creating the smoke that gives every meal that barbecue flavor."

I know the Q series doesn't have flavorizer bars, just wondering if anyone can taste the difference in their food because of them. I get the concept and agree that they control flare ups, but since Weber didn't include them in the Q's, it seems to me they don't really do that much in helping to smoke food and are more a gimmick than anything else. I say this because I used to own a Weber Genesis but now own a Weber Q 1200 and I certainly don't notice any difference in the taste of my food. But on the subject of flare ups, since the Q's don't have them does that mean they are more prone to flare ups? And if not, then it kind of makes flavorizer bars pointless as other Webers models could use the same type of grills as the Q series.

Someone educate me please.

The Q's cast iron grill grate has sear areas over the burner tubes that prevent flare ups. I've never had any issues with flare ups on my Q.

Compared to almost all other gas grills, Weber has the distinction of having their Flavorizer bars at a much sharper angle. I know they must have some sort of patent on this, as other cheaper gas grills have their bars much flatter. Having owned a much cheaper gas grill (from Home Depot) in the past, I know that the flat, almost horizontal shape of these other bars keep the grease on them much longer, thus causing constant flare ups. On these other grills, you end up burning your food almost every time, and there's no way to change it.
I will never buy another non-Weber gas grill again!

Last edited:
Though slight yes I can tell a difference in taste between my Q220 and my other grills. The Q produces a less pronounced grill flavor in the food. This is even more evident with the electric Q140 I have sitting at my dad's home. Now that being said I will ad another twist to this. Last year some folks I met were giving away a Broilmaster Premium D3 grill. I recently got it refurbished and Broilmaster sent me a new bowtie burner along with new heavy SS rod grates. It uses a different technology than just about anything else. First it has a very heavy very deep cast aluminum fire box. It is a dual bow tie shaped burner and heat distribution is more even than anything I have ever used or own. Above the burner ceramic briquettes.
This grill in all it's simplicity is simply amazing. It does not catch fire (even with difficult fatty foods like chicken thighs), it gives a flavor that is more like cooking over hardwood lump than any grill I have ever used (save for a Kettle with hardwood lump). Sears wonderfully, basically here is this very simple device that just blows away so far my Summit, my Genesis and my Wolf. Yet it uses very simple principals. Heavy castings, deep (tall) fire box, no hocus pocus and a large burner that spreads out well under the briquettes. Many years ago when I was looking for a replacement to my old Sunbeam grill I was at a dealer who sold these, Weber, and IIRC the old Ducane brand. The dealer was trying to expound on the benefit(s) of this against all the others but I had my mind made up and bought my Genesis. It was a very good decision as WELL over 20 years later that Genesis is still performing (albeit currently in my brother's hands) but still performing. But now that I actually own one of these "other" units it is turning my head to say the least.

The Q's cast iron grill grate has sear areas over the burner tubes that prevent flare ups. I've never had any issues with flare ups on my Q.
I already understood how the Q prevents flare ups, but it certainly doesn't cover flames like the flavorizer bars do. And then there is the issue of pools of grease building up on those sear areas in the grill grate of the Q. I know other manufactures use similar types of grill grates, my previous O-Grill comes to mind. But I guess that's the only way to prevent flares ups with circular style burners.

LMichaels,

I really can't tell the difference in my food between different grills, maybe I'm too hungry when I grill and chow it down to fast to taste it. But I'm going to have to look into a Broilmaster Premium grill, they seem very interesting.

I have to say, one thing that turns me off is cheap floppy side trays on grills. The Weber Q is an exception because they are plastic and the grill as a whole is designed to be portable. But it's one reason why I had owned a Weber Genesis years ago, the side trays are solid. I see too many so called "expensive" grills with metal side trays that are very bendable, it's disappointing.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself - charcoal vs gas? Absolutely I can taste a difference. Flavorizer bars vs not??? Not so much.

Back