fixing chips in the porcelain finish

I just bought a 22.5" WSM from Craig's list. After bringing it home I noticed small chips on the lid lip. The chips were on two sides of the lid lip 180 degrees apart.

1. Does anybody have an idea what the previous owner did to cause the formation of these chips?
2. What is the best way to repair the chips? I checked amazon.com and found grill paint by rust-oleum---would this work?

thanks!
http://i1110.photobucket.com/a..._2012047_cropped.jpg

Tom,

Personally I would not paint this or fool with it any further, in terms of "fixing" the finish.

The chips are in a part of the lid that sees a lot of shifting (opening/closing lid, etc.). So any "paint", no matter how high temp, is likely to scrub loose again.

I would hit it with Pam or another veggie oil-type spray, fire up the WSM, and "season" the area by leaving the lid ajar to the point of where the scuffed areas that you've oiled can receive a generous amount of heat and smoke.

Then I'd build a HOT fire in the WSM - talking a heaping full chimney of coals, completely lit, with all bottom lids and the top fully open. Let this burn for an hour - and respray/recoat the area once or twice during the process (carefully, so not to burn yourself). Just remember to keep the lid propped ajar a little.

That's how I would treat this. If the chips were in any other area I'd recommend Rustoleum High Temp black caliper paint, as it matches the WSM finish perfectly and holds strong for temps up to 900 degrees F.

Agree: Either use as is and let the smoke and grease seal it or do as W Tyler suggests.
Mine has a couple chips nicks and after a few smokes hard to even notice. Prev owner prolly dropped the lid or set it down hard on concrete one two many times.

Tim

Hey W Tyler/Timothy

Thanks for the advice...
I especially like the low-work aspect
icon_biggrin.gif

Tom

My lid fell on the concrete a while back causing a quarter-sized chip in the paint. I cleaned the lid and touched it up with high-temp grill paint.

Back