Five Hour Chicken?

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
An article in the Dining and Wine section of the New York Times (by Peter Meehan/07 March 2007) discusses some good BBQ restaurants in NYC. In one part of this article, the author mentions a dish referred to as "Slow Chickens" in one of the restaurants, and he quotes the owner as saying “Slow chickens are easier to catch,” shot back Mr. Norstein, a burly Brooklyn-born bear of man with a borscht belt sense of humor. The chickens are smoked over apple and hickory wood for five or six hours, after being seasoned with a spicy rub that does wonders for their skin." This sounds good to me, and it's something that I'd like to take a shot at here at home, but smoking chickens for five or six hours seems like a very long time to me. Anyone care to share some thoughts on this? I'd like to find a recipe along these lines if possible. Thanks.

Hi Tom

I'm with you 5 - 6 hours seems like a long time to me. These chickens must be really slow! I only go about half that time.

Well I guess I wasn't home when they called to interview me for that article
icon_smile.gif
. Seriously that is the way I've cook chicken, most often, on the WSM for more than 10 years. Its just our usual low/slow 250 lid temp method. I do butterflied halves and marinade them overnight, usually in WB italian. I don't have an explanation why they seem more moist and juicy than otherwise. Definite downside is the skin, which is certainly not crisp. However, to reduce fat intake, I discard it anyway - there goes that wonderful rub
icon_frown.gif
- put some under the skin while prep'n and it helps.

Paul

Back