Fish Taco's

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Would like to try a hand at a good Fish Taco recipe. Saw this one from Tyler Florence. Thinking about giving it a go. Like the panko crusted mahi and of course the chipotle mayo and the salsa recipes looked good. Might even try the home fried corn chips with tomatillo salsa.

Tyler's Fish Tacos

Tyler Tomatillo Salsa/Chips

Thinking about doing a dinner with Fish Tacos along with Treuth's Tri Tip once I collect the Tri's from Bryan
icon_wink.gif

Just wondering if anyone has any improvements or favorite version they think would be good to try.

You'll get bett flavor (imo) if you roast the tomatillos, pepper (or peppers; I'd use three), and onion first. Husk the tomatillos and place them, whole, on a foiled line pan along with the pepper(s). Broil about 4 inches from your broiler till the tomatillos are black in spots (the skins will split) and they are about half cooked through, about 5 min. Flip the tomatillos and chile(s) and place back under the broiler and roast the other sides, about 4-5 min more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan.

Reduce the oven temp to 425. Slice the onion into 1/4-inch slices (rather than quartered), separate into rings, and place on a sheetpan along with the peeled garlic cloves. Roast in the oven, stirring every 2-3 min, till the onions have wilted, are translucent (perhps a little charred in spots), and the garlic is softened and splotchy browned, about 15 min. Cool to room temp.

Pulse the onion-garlic mix along with the chilies in a processor or blender, scraping down the sides, as needed, till finely textured. Remove to a bowl. Without rinsing the processor or blender, add the tomatillos and any juices from he pan and finely-to-coarsely purée; your choice. Add a little water, if necessary, to help hit the texture you want. Add to the bowl and stir well, adding salt to taste, lime to taste, and the cilantro (I'd mince it and likely would add only 1/4-1/2 cup).

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You'll get bett flavor (imo) if you roast the tomatillos, pepper (or peppers; I'd use three), and onion first. Husk the tomatillos and place them, whole, on a foiled line pan along with the pepper(s). Broil about 4 inches from your broiler till the tomatillos are black in spots (the skins will split) and they are about half cooked through, about 5 min. Flip the tomatillos and chile(s) and place back under the broiler and roast the other sides, about 4-5 min more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan.

Reduce the oven temp to 425. Slice the onion into 1/4-inch slices (rather than quartered), separate into rings, and place on a sheetpan along with the peeled garlic cloves. Roast in the oven, stirring every 2-3 min, till the onions have wilted, are translucent (perhps a little charred in spots), and the garlic is softened and splotchy browned, about 15 min. Cool to room temp.

Pulse the onion-garlic mix along with the chilies in a processor or blender, scraping down the sides, as needed, till finely textured. Remove to a bowl. Without rinsing the processor or blender, add the tomatillos and any juices from he pan and finely-to-coarsely purée; your choice. Add a little water, if necessary, to help hit the texture you want. Add to the bowl and stir well, adding salt to taste, lime to taste, and the cilantro (I'd mince it and likely would add only 1/4-1/2 cup).

Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now we're talking - thanks Kevin. Stick with jalpenos for the peppers or mix types? Perhpas grill instead of broil?

I usually mix serranos and jalapeños and sub one ripe jal for one unripe.

The peppers can certainly be grilled to char them and the onions and garlic can be grilled as well (do so at first, indirect, so cooking occurs; move to direct to caramelize a bit; no oil; skewer the slices to make movement easier; skewer the garlic cloves separately from the onions). I think I prefer broiling tomatillos because as the char they split, releasing juices that go into the salsa, but I've made it many times with grilled and like it very much (the salsa is de rigueur on camping trips for breakfast). Go quite hot and direct with them from the get-go. If you go indirect or too low a temp they will get mushy first and not char well. Look for browning of the skin with some blackening here and there.

Of course, don't peel the tomatillos or chilies; the browned and charred skin is what adds so much to the flavor. Processing/blending fairly well but just shy of a purée is what I usually do when cooking for others. This way the roasted flavors of the skin are present but not the texture that would be were the salsa less fine. People often find the texture of larger skin pieces off-putting because they are unfamiliar with it. Blending well solves this.

Fish tacos to me mean ya gotta have cabbage and ya gotta have some type of crema. At least that's how the mexican restaurants serve them around here, and it's the way I prefer them. I've had (the fish) deep fried and grilled...I like grilled better. The slightly charred taste makes a fish taco a fish taco, imho.

This one, made with 16 tomatilos and 4 large cloves of garlic, a 1/3-inch slice off a large onion, 2 habs, salt, pepper, and a little culantro.

I broiled the toms and habs till charred then puréed them coarsely in a procesor along with accumulated pan juices. I put the onion slice and the unpeeled garlic cloves on the pan then broiled till the garlic was charred and softening. I added the garlic (peeled) and the onion to the processor with the motor was running along with salt and pepper, allowed the mix to cool, then minced and added the culantro.

Culantro, pre-mincing:

The salsa, just before stirring in the culantro:

On a chip:

Back