Fish and hot dogs

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Harry Soo made a comment about not putting fish or hot dogs in your smoker. I don't buy into hot dogs but fish got me thinking. Could smoking salmon add oils to the smoker that would impart off flavers for other BBQ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james n:
Not if you buy fresh fish..I've never had a problem with smell in the wsm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope , don't buy it. Catch the salmon on Lake MI and cook the same day. Would hate to tant my new pride and joy

I usually hot smoke salmon in my kettle. I've been cold smoking salmon in the WSM and haven't had any issue.

I would think if you did a lot of fish in your WSM but catch drips in a foiled water pan you'd be fine. I usually clean my grates in the gasser on high for 20 min and that would kill any fish residue on the grate.

Sounds to me like overthinking the problem unless you do a ton of fish smoking between ribs or butts

Where else am I going to make my smoked fish and hot dog loaf?

Harry Soo must have a lot more refined taste buds than I do.

I have never noticed any off taste. I don't smoke many hot dogs (like none) but I've done a lot of fish. I compete with the same smokers and I've done well and I've done not so well so it's hard to tell if it affects my scores but I don't think anyone short of a professional flavor tester would notice.

I've done a lot of fish and hot dogs my WSM and it has never been a problem either. I just change my foil on my clay saucer after doing fish and go from there. I don't bother to change it with hot dogs unless it is time to put some new foil on.

I would imagine if one left the water pan and grates in for a few days without cleaning, it could have a funky smell.
But otherwise I've done fish before an no off odors or tastes as long as I take care to clean up after.

Tim

Every year during the salmon run I smoke up close to 20lbs of salmon. Never affected any other foods that I have smoked.

I smoke salmon all the time and would challenge anyone who was honest to tell me they tasted it in my BBQ. Same thing as using Blue Bag I guess, some people say they can taste a difference but myself and my guests certainly can't. I was just told by my guests who eat BBQ regularly at some well known places in MI that my pulled pork was the best they ever had. The last smoke before my pulled pork? You guessed it salmon. Ken

Back