First WSM this weekend. How to arrange?

Bryan Marriott

TVWBB Member
I'm planning my first use of my WSM this weekend. I'm new to BBQ but have made all 3 of these on my Performer and they came out pretty good. I'm planning on putting a 8 pound butt, a 6 to 8 pound brisket and a few racks of pork ribs I have in the freezer. My question is how do I arrange them? I'm guessing ribs on top because they cook quicker? Also what is the trick to removing the top grate to access the lower grate? Do I take the food off or is there a tool people use to pull it off with meat still on it?

Thank you

Hi Bryan! I can't really help you with arrangement as I've never smoked that much at one time before. I'd guess that it would probably all fit the best with the brisket on the lower rack, and the butt and ribs on the top rack.

As for removing the top grate, the tool I use is my wife.
icon_smile.gif
If you're flying solo, you could probably pull off the grate and set it on a couple 2x4s or bricks. Anything that can handle the heat and is relatively clean.

Good luck!

-Michael

Bryan u mentioned u had a performer, move ur performer next to ur wsm and put the lid on the slide a side, when u pull the top grate off the wsm to check the lower grate sit the top grate in the performer, i use leather gloves to remove the grate by the handles hope this helps

Duh I didn't even think about using the performer for that purpose. Sometimes the obvious isn't always obvious to me. Thanks for the great idea.

Yea I have never BBQ that much at one time either but I figure since I have it going I may as well make good use of the whole thing. Plus I have a couple of guys at work that were born and raised in North Carolina that have volunteered to eat what I make. I figure who better to judge my BBQ than them.

Kind of strange that I enjoy making it more than eating it. I mean I love to take the first few bites to see how it tastes but The bbqing process is more enjoyable than the eating. Is that normal?

Bryan, this is how I handle getting the bottom grate out. I also have a side table next to the WSM to set the grates on. No need to take meat off.

002.jpg

As far as how to place meat in the cooker, kinda depends on how long you plan on cooking each and at what temp?
If you plan on cooking all the meats ats the same temp then I would put brisket and butt on the bottom and ribs on top.
Good smokin' and send pics.

Mark

Back