First WSM Smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hello everyone, last night I fired up my new WSM for the first time and cooked a rack of spares, the best I have ever cooked!!! My only problem was that the small pieces of lump fell through the charcoal grate, an easy fix wit a little foil. WOW is all I have to say, I have been using an ECB for the last year with decent results but I wanted something with more control so I decided to upgrade to the WSM. I knew there would be a diffrence but I had no idea how much easier it is to control the temperature. I am 100% satisfied with the WSM. Had it not been for this forum I most likly would have wound up with a big offset cooker, but all of you convinced me to go with the WSM. Reading all of your posts answered nearly all of my questions when I was starting out and knew nothing about barbecuing, Thanks to all of you I look forward to years of good food and good fun.

Welcome to the board, Kyle.

With your WSM you've upgraded your dinner possibilities substantially and without the endless monitoring and poking around common to some other cookers.

If you've not seen the charcoal grate mod take a look. It'll solve that problem.

Good luck and let us know what you're cooking next.

You made the right choice Karl. I am a converted offset user, and the ease of temp control is beyond comparison. I still use the offset for some things, but if I want or need complete control I always use the WSM. Overnight cooks are usually trouble free, while the offset has to be tended to every hour to couple of hours.

Stick to the board and you'll become the envy of all those around you that like BBQ.

I used one of the cooking grates from my
ECB, turned 90 degrees, on top of the WSM charcoal grid to keep the small pieces from falling through.

Great choice Karl, I don't think yo will ever be disappointed.

I use the second method in the mod description. I just ran down to the local metal shop and picked up a peice of expanded metal ($3.00) Haven't had a problem since.

Back