First WSM Smoke Day

BWalkerPA

So this weekend was suppose to be my foray into overnight cooking and lots of ribs. COVID had other plans so we had to cancel our little party, but I didn't let that stop my smoking.

I did the pork butt during the day since I didn't need it for Saturday anymore. I had two of them but only did one as the misses would not believe me that the weird smell is normal and that as long as the meat looks and feels good and the smell goes away fairly quickly all is good. Lessons learned prep outside while she is still sleeping lol. 250 pretty much the whole time using Apple and a bit of hickory. I failed at picture taking. Only got the afters:

IMG_3072.jpegIMG_3073.jpeg

Then yesterday I went ahead and tried out my new rib ring to do 4 racks of spare ribs that were trimmed st. louis style. I had trouble with these. I was able to keep the temp at about 250 the entire time without issue but theywere take a really long time (Almost 6 hours) and they were not cooking evenly. I don't know if it was the ring or what but I will give it another change. Ultimately they tasted good but I know there is a couple more levels I could get out of them but for my first spare rib smoke I was satisfied. I also got so caught up in prepping I totally forgot to setup my bellows that I received Friday afternoon with my signals. Only afters again :(.

IMG_3077.jpegIMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3080.jpeg

Your afters are really nice! Spares will take longer than baby backs and 6 hours seems good to me. Perhaps your racks are setting up weird convection causing some unevenness. Maybe move them 60 to 90 degrees after a couple of hours?

Ribs look great with a strong smoke ring.

Ha, sorry about the Billows. Just did my first cook with one and I'm sold.

You just need to do another smoke sooner rather than later!

Back