First Weber Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Cook

TVWBB Fan
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks since I first got my WSM. I have had several pits but sold a couple and have settled down with Big Jim Lazy Q. (Trailer-mounted) and decided I needed a WSM.

Yesterday I brined 2 butterflied chickens in a salt/sugar brine. I added Penzey's Southwest Seasoning it. After 8 hours of brining I rubbed with SouthWest seasoning and let sit overnight in the fridge. This morning I rubbed with a little olive oil. I cooked them using lump and hickory. I
I am really pleased with the result. This was some of the prettiest chicken I have cooked. I do think I could have had the temperature a little hotter though.

I plan to add a metal flap to the outside cooking chamber so that I can attach my thermometers. I have the Brinkman water pans leftover from my old ECB.

This site was helpful. My next WSM meal is probably going to be the Brown Sugar Rub Salmon.

------------------
Bruce Cook
bdcbbq1@home.com

Hi,

Welcome to the bulletin board, and thanks for the post. Glad you've found the information here useful.

Regarding the metal flap idea, someone sent me a photo showing how they adapted the Weber Tool Holder ($4.50) to this purpose. The tool holder hangs from the edge of the cooking section and has 4 hooks from which you hang BBQ tools. Each hook curls around at the end forming an "eye". This gentleman fitted a metal block between two of the hooks and screwed through the "eye" on either side to fasten. Gives him a place to stick a Polder display or remote thermometer transmitter while cooking.

One of these days I'll get around to posting pictures of this on the Web site. It's a nice little mod.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back