First Vortex cook

GGross

TVWBB Pro
I got a Vortex for Father's Day and this was the first cook

About 20 minutes in the cook.

Got a good crispy skin

It pegged the themostat

I used the Tatonka Dust which they sent with the Vortex as a promotion. It's not spicy and boost a nice grill flavor

A closeup of the crispy skin, they came out nice about 45-50 minute cook time

The Vortex is a chicken wing cooking machine. Some of the best wings I've cooked was using the Vortex. Try some chicken thighs some time. Oh hell any chicken parts are great with the Vortex. Good luck with a great tool.

Bill

I am still amazed at how well the vortex cooks! I did large chicken breasts last night on the performer. I filled my vortex with leftover coals from a recent brisket cook, fired it up, and in 15 minuted the chicken was on the grill and my thermometer was pegged at well over 550! I have to say, that was some of the juiciest chicken I have ever made! I am really enjoying the many uses of the vortex!
Tim

I am still amazed at how well the vortex cooks! I did large chicken breasts last night on the performer. I filled my vortex with leftover coals from a recent brisket cook, fired it up, and in 15 minuted the chicken was on the grill and my thermometer was pegged at well over 550! I have to say, that was some of the juiciest chicken I have ever made! I am really enjoying the many uses of the vortex!
Tim

Did you fill the vortex with unlit charcoal? I ask because I fill it from the chimney already lit of course and I was wondering how you light the unlit coals in the vortex. thanks

I know they arent that great - but I worry about this much focused heat on the thermometer for any length of time.
for those with a vortex - have you noticed any degradation in the thermo performance/accuracy?

I know they arent that great - but I worry about this much focused heat on the thermometer for any length of time.
for those with a vortex - have you noticed any degradation in the thermo performance/accuracy?

In that same vane, I have wondered about the overall effects this heat might have on the Kettle grill and grates as a whole. Like is the grill made to really be that hot, I know I have to use a glove to take the lid off much I don't necessarily have to do if grilling without the Vortex. But it does make some great wings

I really like the vortex cooks that have been popping up, especially with chicken. Your chicken looks delicious. Nice job.

Back