First use of my Auber....

Gregg M.

TVWBB Member
Received an Auber for Christmas. Was doing a rib cook yesterday so I figured I'd try it out.

Man what a great little tool. Kept the temp around my target give or take a few degrees because of heavy winds.

-Minion Method
-Claypot Base
-Brought temp up to about 10 degrees short of target like normal then closed down 2 of the bottom vents (the 3rd already had auber and aluminum tape attached)
- Turned on the auber, set for target, and let it do its thing.
-There was an intial drop but after 5 minutes it came back up. It overshot it about 5 degrees and then it came back down.

I got mine last summer and have used it at least a dozen times. For $120 plus shipping it was a great investment; it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it sure does a great job of holding temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I agree. The digital display and the ability to autotune (along with manual adjustment of the PID parameters) are not available on any other unit at this price point.

I don't know much about the other ATC's out there, but if they don't have the digital display, then the Auber is a cut above. I haven't done much with the variables but it is something nice to have available. So I concur; at this price it has a few more things than others.

The main missing feature is remote monitoring via web like the Stoker has. That would be nice, but not for lots of $$$ more (from my perspective.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know much about the other ATC's out there, but if they don't have the digital display, then the Auber is a cut above. I haven't done much with the variables but it is something nice to have available. So I concur; at this price it has a few more things than others.

The main missing feature is remote monitoring via web like the Stoker has. That would be nice, but not for lots of $$$ more (from my perspective.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was looking at the nanoQ and ique units which are around the same price point and are really stripped down. I went with the Auber over the nanoQ simply because of the display. The nanoQ cant even tell you what temp its set at. You have to figure that out with your own therm and then decide if you want it warmer or not.

You're right, it doesn't have the same features as the stoker or digiQ, but those are in different class.

Back