First Turkey Breast

Brian Cross

TVWBB Member
Going to smoke a 8 lb turkey breast for me and the wife today.I like a fair amount of smoke but I also know turkey won't need much and the wife is happy with charcoal only. Its hard not to cook the way you like your food but going to be a good guy for a change. Question is will there still be a fair amount of smokey taste with just kbb ? I think Ive got adding pic down so I will try and ad some pics of the cook and my hillbilly dog run bbq pit. From what I've looked at online I'm thinking 2 to 3 hours? Going for a temp of 300 to 350. Will I have to add charcoal running that high on a 18.5 with a full ring? Thanks in advance!

I just did a 12 pound turkey for Easter. Used kingsford competition charcoal. Foiled empty water pan. Took 2.5 hours at 325-350 on just 2 chimney full of charcoal. Comp runs hotter then kbb but to answer your question you will get very little smoke taste. Add 1 chunk of Apple. Small chunk. Apple is light and less smoky then other wood. I think it will be a happy medium for both you and your wife. My wife sounds about the same as yours when it comes to smoke flavor.

Back