First Try With Weber Pellets

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I saw that I could order Weber SmokeFire PELLETS on Lowe's website. I ordered both Cherry and Grill Master Blend for store pickup. For whatever reason, Fed Ex brought me a bag of Grill Master, while the Cherry I ordered is still somewhere on its way to my local Lowe's.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

These pellets look to be slightly longer than some brands. Not much sawdust in the bag, although a lot of that depends on how they are handled after they are made.

Tx7hoh6.jpg

This blend consists of 34% Maple, 33% Hickory, and 33% Cherry. Actually, I believe ALL the SmokeFire pellets are a blend, even the one I bought labeled "Cherry" which is actually only 40% Cherry and 60% Maple. This is different from some other brands who market several 100% single wood type pellets.

OkqPVUL.jpg

DbskgIc.jpg

ciIgqvm.jpg

I loaded these up in my rear-hopper Rec Tec RT-700, a layout that I feel Weber wisely also chose for the SmokeFire. The hopper can hold more than a 20lb bag:

gsh3CSe.jpg

I decided to do a high-heat grilling experiment which I will post a separate thread about. I was inside when the grill really got going (and when it typically smokes the most), so I missed the thick part. My son came home from work right then and asked if we were smoking out the neighborhood. By the time I got back outside it had settled down to a nice, very pleasant smelling smoke:

FjEZ1X7.jpg

I was very happy with my first try with these. This blend has a nice balance, not over-pungent but not washed out. I would buy them again and consider them comparable to a favorite of mine CookinPellets.com "Perfect Mix." Very similar blend.

https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lbs-pm/

I guess if one was way cheaper I would go with that one. If you buy enough 40lb bags that would be the CookinPellets.com. But to just pick up one bag at the store, Weber SmokeFire pellets looks like a better deal.

Thanks for the review Jon. I'll pick up a bag and give them a try. Seeing my Camp Chef isn't a daily driver I'm willing to pay a little more to get good quality pellets, so when I do use it I get the best quality I can.

Back