First try with Royal Oak Briquets

Phil S

TVWBB Super Fan
I started a full ring with Minion Method at 9:30 this morning & the temps ran a steady 260 degrees. I had to leave around lunch and everything looked fine.

When I got home at 3:30 the temps were down to 230 so I opened the acess door to stir the coals. I couldn't believe that they were almost gone. I was going to knock the ash off but that's about all that was left.There was only the equivalent of maybe 15 coals and a huge pile of ash that I pushed through the grate. Zowie!

Is 6 hours on a full ring typical?

I've never had that problem with Royal Oak briquettes before. I've used it a lot and it's always lasted about the same amount of time as old Kingsford. It must of been a bad batch or something.

I read somewhere here that the RO didn't burn as long as kingsford but they didn't lead me to believe it was only 6 hours. Heck I just picked up some at wally world on clearance and used it the first time saturday on some ribs. I didn't even fill the ring and it ran 6 hours.

Was it windy? That will cause you to use more fuel.

No, it wasn't windy and my WSM was parked in the garage. What really impressed me was how consistently the temps held. I'm not sure whether it was the RO or the fact that it was a weekday and there were no adult beverages involved.

When I opened it up, it looked tike there was the regular amount of ash on the coals but when I went to stir them everything dropped to the bottom of the bowl.

I've got 1/2 a bag left and I'll try it again.

I've used it for over-nighters and I've gotten at least 20-22 hours out of a full ring using the Minion method.

Back