First try on Sunday... A Few Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This site is the reason I decided to buy the WSMC. I love all the shared info, but I have a few questions.

First, I am going to try the BRITU recipe tomorrow, but I only have Pecan chunks. Will this work ok? Is there a site that describes the flavors that each differnt kind of wood produces?

Second, I will be cooking with a heat index in the 110 degree range tomorrow. Should I make any changes to accomodate the heat?

Third, how many slabs would you suggest for 8 people?

Thanks for the help,
Darrell

There's an article about smoke woods here on the site. See All About Smoke Woods.

Look for the discussion about individual woods at the end of the article. Take the comments about the flavor of each wood with a grain of salt. Most folks report that they cannot distinguish the subtle flavors between woods, but can tell stronger woods from milder ones.

Regards,
Chris

Pecan should be a good choice for your ribs.Ive read in bbq books that many compitition cooks prize this wood for pork.
I cant get it here in michigan-have to mail order it. I dont think I would think twice about using it if I had it.
Jim

....but I only have Pecan chunks. Will this work ok?

Darrell, many of us should be so lucky. Pecan and hickory are from the same family. You should be all set.

Thanks for the help, I had no idea Pecan wood chunks were such a commodity. I will proceed with confidence.

Regarding the slabs, I usually figure 2 people per slab of spares. I'll usually have a little left over for later.

And: "Should I make any changes to accomodate the heat?" Yes, drink plenty of adult beverages. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back