First try at ribs

Outstanding! Sounds like you had a great cook - ain't it fun??? I'm a real Blues Hog addict, myself. The briskets that I just put on have Head Country on them, but I have a case of babybacks that I'll be starting later tonight and working through tonight and in the morning - all 18 slabs will be Blues-Hogged, and lightly glazed at the end with the Blues Hog regular sauce cut with a bit of apple juice. Yum!

I'm looking forward to hearing how those wings turn out...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I ordered a 1/2 case 'o Blues Hog and half a case of Tenn. Red the other day ... both in quart size. Dang I wish it was here today!
icon_mad.gif

I guess I'll just have to sweeten up a little Head Contry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Charles,

Good job. Can you relay the cooking formula you ended up using? Did you stick with 3-2-1? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are my notes. Be advised that all this is stuff that other people have told me. I do not take credit for any of this. But they REALLY DID turn out great!!!

Ingredients –
2 1/4 lb racks of loin back ribs (Sam’s).
These ribs aren’t technically Baby Backs, but they’re close enough.
A package of 3 slabs from Sam’s should weigh no more than 7 lbs.
Blues Hog Rub
Apple Juice

The Night Before -
Remove membrane, cut slabs in two, and rub with Blues Hog Rub.
Place in Ziploc bags, place in the fridge.

Rib Day -
Be sure all 3 bottom vents are wide open.
Light a heaping chimney of Kingsford, pour into charcoal pan.
Pour 1 heaping chimney of unlit Kingsford onto lit coals.
When all coals are covered with gray ash, assemble unit.
Cover the bottom of the water pan with HD foil.
Fill water pan to within 1” of top
Close all 3 bottom vents, leave top vent open at all times.
When temp drops to about 300* at the lid, remove ribs from fridge, begin cooking.
Spray both cooking grates with cooking oil for easier cleanup
Cook meat side up on both racks.
Tweak vents to maintain 225* at grate, 235* - 240* at lid.
Cook 2 - 3 hours until they get good color, mopping @ 2 hrs w/ hot apple juice.
Remove ribs from WSM.
Place ribs on sheets of HD foil.
Sprinkle w/ brown sugar; mop liberally w/ hot apple juice to be sure sugar melts.
Wrap foil around ribs tightly. No leaks!
Switch ribs from top rack to bottom and vice versa.
Check water level, add warm water if necessary
Cook an additional 45 minutes in foil.
Take ribs out of foil, careful of hot liquid in foil.
Sprinkle with a little more Blues Hog Rub.
Cook an additional 15 - 30 minutes more, out of foil, or until done.
Be SURE to do the step above, this removes any grease on the meat from the foiling.
Do the toothpick test.
Slide a toothpick into the meat between the bones. It should feel like it is sliding into warm butter. If it doesn’t, they aren’t done.

I put the ribs into the foil @ 2 hours, since they had a good color, and seemed to be cooking well.
Next time I will probably put just a little more juice in the foil, and probably foil for 1 hour.
Will also most likely cook until they pass the tear test, or the toothpick test.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
I'm looking forward to hearing how those wings turn out... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keri,
HELP!!!
Just exactly how am I supposed to tell that those wings are "partially done" when stewing them?

I'm stewing them in the sauce, on the stove top, in a large pot. Got a nice moderate boil going with the sauce for the last 25 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Keri,
HELP!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too late. :-(
They got a little too done in the stewer. Falling off the bones.
AND I got the grill a little too hot, so the skin got charred on some of them.

BUT...
They were really good. Everybody liked them a lot.
The sauce didn't override the taste of the chicken, but you could tell it was there.
I fudged and used the Original Blues Hog BBQ Sauce, cause Daughter and Wife have stomach issues, and can't handle spicy foods.
It took a whole quart of sauce to cover the 6.5# of wings. :-)
Another reason to use the Original sauce, don't want to use up all the 'Crimson Nectar'.

Next time:
When stewing: at the first hint of the meat starting to get white, turn off the stove.
When grilling: low heat...real low, so you can take your time, and get that skin just right.

Overall rating:
Really, really good!

I realize it boring when someone replies to their own posts, but I just wanted to tell Keri that those ribs just might have pleased her if she was judging at a contest.

I read her say somewhere that when she and Robert judged ribs, they prefer that just the bite come away from the bone, no more.

That's the way those ribs were.
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.
Say, I've still got just a little in the fridge.
Breakfast, anyone?

I have been following this thread with interest since its inception and did my first baby backs yesterday. I used the BTITU rub, the Minion Method, with mulberry, apple & walnut chunks, 3-1-.75, and sauced twice during the last ¾ hour. One of the four racks was slightly past the tear test (broke in half while removing) but all were delicious and had good texture. These were some of the best ribs I have (over)eaten and definitely the best I have ever made. Thanks everyone (especially Jim Minion) for your comments & suggestions.

Mark

Charles said,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Say, I've still got just a little in the fridge.
Breakfast, anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How about a late lunch? Just fax 'em on over.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C

Back