First Tri Tips...success!

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
With Chris' post about the new 22" WSM, I feel like my boring little post will be lost, but here goes anyway.

Got a 2 pack of tri tips at my local Costco. Not sure if this is a permanent addition or a summer special, but tri tip is available in the southeast for now.

Followed Chris' recipe for the salt rub and used red oak smoke wood with K briquettes. Was aiming for 350 cooking temps but had a hard time getting past 320.

Turned out very, very good. Cooked a little past medium rare temps as the wife and kids were eating with me and none of them are big fans of really red meat. Internal temps about 140-145 when done.

We had no problem finishing one of them at dinner. I sliced the other as thin as I could and we are going to the store tomorrow for some good bread for tri tip sandwiches tomorrow night.

After working for the first year with my WSM on "perfecting" ribs and butts, I have really enjoyed branching out this summer with chicken turkey, brisket, and tri tip cooks. Up next...smoked salmon.

And before anyone asks, I don't have any pics. I have really wanted to start with photographing my cooks and I was hoping to do it tonight. Then my 8 year old crashed his bike going down the big hill in our neighborhood and I had to deal with about 2 square feet of road rash. That delayed dinner and I was in a hurry. Next time...for sure.

Tri-tip is one of my favorite meals to make on a grill. Glad yours turned out well. And you can tell your son that chicks dig scars.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Lee. I cooked my first Tri-tip a couple of weeks ago on my One-Touch Platinum. Cooked rare and cut into thin slices, what a treat it was!

After all these years I finally got to experience the flavor of a Tri-tip courtesy of a friend who obtained them from a relative of his who is a butcher. Glad yours turned out great too.

Jeff

Lee:

Glad to hear about your success. Tri Tip is my older son's favorite cut and I have also become a fan. We are a family of four and will go ahead & smoke two of those, eat one and use the other throughout the week.
Leftovers are great for :
Sandwiches (of course)
Fajitas
steak quesodillas
Beef Stroghanoff
Etc. Etc.

nothing like tri tip cooked over the coals. gonna do some sat for a family get together on the kettle. as to road rash, coming from an expert, watch it carfully, don't want infections. for the kids mental well being, make it like he is wearing a badge of honor. worked for myself and my kids. course for myself i always embellished on how i got mine !

Back