FIRST TIME WSM I COOK RIBS

GREGORY YAFCHAK

Hi i just got my wsm and i cook some ribs last saturday i took the membrane off and trim the back bone off i use a dyr rub and smoke them over cherry wood @ about 225 to 250 for 6 1/2 hours they were ok just dry can you guys tell me how i can make them moist i do hear you should spray them every hour with apple juice then i heard you should not take the top off the smoker, i love this smoker i will try this weekend ribs again (sunday) and use some apple juice to moist them ever hour. whats you guy do to make a great ribs.

kind regards
greg

I simply cook for about 3 hours at 240-250 then foil with some apple juice or something sweet that compliments the rub and contiue to cook until the ribs pass the "tear test". I have done it this way for a couple years now and always have good luck.

Keep cookin!

hi nick did you ever try to spray them instead of foil the ribs i have foil rids in the oven then put them on my chroi broil smoker they were great but i bought the wsm and trying to do ribs just by smoking them but they were dry they shrunk back about a 1/4 inch do you think i should had let them stay on longer.

If they were dry then they were overcooked. I do not spray ribs simply because opening the smoker up to me makes it harder to get back under control from the big gulp of air the coals get. On longer cooks such as butts I'll mop them when I check the meat temps.

I have better luck getting really moist tender ribs by foiling. That is just my personal preference.

thanks nick for the info im going to try to spray the ribs with apple juice and make sure the meat pulls back at least 1/2 inch ill let you know how they come out.

Greg

A lot of people like to follow a 3:2:1 method, 3 hours normal, 2 hours in foil with juice or other liquid then an hour out to form a good bark on them.

you can try mike scruchfields " best ribs in the universe " receipe found on this web site, if you follow excatly this comes out great, i have used it many times with great results. i normally cook my ribs between 3-4 hours, i do not foil mine but maybe i should try it some time. good luck!!!

'

Hi john where can i find (mike scruchfields " best ribs in the universe) thanks for your help i think im going to try 321 tomorrow as im also smoking trout.

kind regards
Gregory

Thanks Doug i found it, as i type im getting my smoker ready to smoke some ribs and trout im going to do 3 2 1 ill let you know how they came out thanks..

Gregory

Hi doug i smoke my spare ribs 3 2 1 they came out great cant say nothing bad about the way they came out. well thanks to all for your input.

Hey Guys...just though I'd put in my 2 cents..

I've had my WSM for about a year now. BabyBacks are my favorite smoke..I've done baby backs about seven times..My method is to apply some Good spicy Mustard, along with some rub the night before..fire up my WSM using the standard method..soak about 6-8 chunks of apple and Hickory chips in beer for 30-60 min. put chunks on when all charcoal is grey.
put approx. 2 slabs on WSM, cook 3.5 hrs. @
215-220..remove ribs, foil with a Apple/Pinneapple juice combo..cook final 1.5 hrs.
@ 225-230...remove ribs, remove top and middle portion of WSM, lather with a BBq/ Honey mixture, carmelize ribs on on grate over remaining coals for 5 minutes or so..yum

Back