First time with ABTs

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I cooked some ABTs for the first time last night. My family's not into spicy food, so I just never got around to making a batch. Feeling like I've been in a grilling funk lately (cooking the same tasty recipes over and over again), I decided to grab a few jalepenos and jump in.

I planned to grill some pork tenderloin indirect, so thought it a good opportunity to squeeze a few ABTs on the grill. Not only had I never cooked an ABT ... I'd never eaten one.

Four large jalepenos split in half, seeds/membrane removed, each half filled with a mixture of cream cheese and sweet italian sausage, wrapped with half a slice of bacon, with toothpick to hold together. So far so good.

I gave the ABTs a head start on the cool side of the grill. When I added the tenderloin, I moved the ABTs closer to the heat which was good because it crisped the bacon nicely.

My 9 year old son said he'd try one. I took one off the grill, cut it into a few pieces, and then gave it a try. Outstanding. My son wolfed down the rest. I retrieved a couple of more, but had to fight my son for my share. Then my wife came home. I didn't tell her it was a jalepeno ... she thought it was incredible. Before I knew it, both my son and wife were grabbing ABTs as fast as they could ... like they hadn't eaten in days ... an ABT feeding frenzy. Who would have known?

Aren't they the best? A fellow TVWB-er (Sean S.) suggested I try them with Anaheims and I think that's become my favorite pepper to use, but I like the traditional jalapenos as well as pablanos and those little sweet peppers too.

What surprised me was how much my family enjoyed them. I just assumed they would be too hot for them. Guess I was wrong!

The heat of peppers varies. Sometimes they are hot others not so much. I usually do jalapenos, habaneros, and now I throw some piggles into the mix. I've even had habanberos that weren't that hot, at least for a habanero. Either way they are my favorite appetizer. I have even made them with the hot cherry peppers in a jar and they are still awesome. Try some piggles next time for those who don't like spicy food. That way they have something to eat if the peppers are hot.

It is amazing how fast they disappear! I have to try the sausage.

Fatties also go much more quickly than I would have thought.

Great job

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
The heat of peppers varies. Sometimes they are hot others not so much. I usually do jalapenos, habaneros, and now I throw some piggles into the mix. I've even had habanberos that weren't that hot, at least for a habanero. Either way they are my favorite appetizer. I have even made them with the hot cherry peppers in a jar and they are still awesome. Try some piggles next time for those who don't like spicy food. That way they have something to eat if the peppers are hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice.......I'm going to give the cherry peppers a try; I love them!!

The longer they cook the milder they become but once in a while you'll get that rogue that will knock your socks off among other things.

i'm making a couple of butts tomorrow to replenish my pulled pork supply for the ABTs!

I'm dying for another batch
icon_smile.gif

Cullen how'd the beef ribs turn out?

Back