First Time Using Royal Oak

I use coal from sav-a-lot ..
I'm ninety-nine percent sure it's made by Royal Oak because it has the same grooves and is the same size.
It has been $4.99 a 18# bag forever.
Now its $5.99 but still ..
I don't have to wait for charcoal sales like Kingsford and whatever which is usually $10 a bag around here.
I use it in the WSM all the time and have good results it has a bit of Ash but who cares for $5 a bag it works great

Had a chance last night to try the RO without any wind for the first time. The results were a lot different than the first two times on windy days. Used a small chimney filled to the top, the white smoke was very similar to KBB in the amount of it and I did detect an acrid smell from it.
I let it burn until the top coals were lighting. Dumped it into the JJ and covered it for a couple of minuets. Cooked our hamburgers and then toasted the buns. What surprised me was in just that short amount of time and the coals were losing heat fast.
Also quite a few unburned coals this morning.
Got to use this stuff up so I can go back to KBB.
100_0588_zpsnbw5n2uo.jpg

Last edited:
Used Royal Oak briquettes twice in the last couple of days.

The first day, I lost heat super quickly. I'm not sure why this happened. I definitely had enough charcoal, but it's as if it 'calmed down' faster than what it should have. Wasn't thrilled whatsoever.

This second time, earlier this evening, I cooked burgers and 'dogs for the family and I. The R.O. did great. This time, it took forever for my grill to cool down! Five hours in, and it was still 200 degrees (according to my dome temps). I can usually choke out a Kingsford fire within an hour or so.

Used Royal Oak briquettes twice in the last couple of days.

The first day, I lost heat super quickly. I'm not sure why this happened. I definitely had enough charcoal, but it's as if it 'calmed down' faster than what it should have. Wasn't thrilled whatsoever.

This second time, earlier this evening, I cooked burgers and 'dogs for the family and I. The R.O. did great. This time, it took forever for my grill to cool down! Five hours in, and it was still 200 degrees (according to my dome temps). I can usually choke out a Kingsford fire within an hour or so.

An air leak maybe?

I've always had great success with Royal Oak briquettes, though I have noticed that they take awhile to light off one another. I've always assumed that was typical of charcoal. Next time I'll try Kingsford, though it is $5 more per bag.

Back