First time using foil

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Used the 3-2-1 foiling method today and I did not like the results. It got the meat to pull off the bone easy but I didn't like the way it basically steamed the ribs.

I tried this in order to soften up the bark. It did that, but I lost something in the process. In one of my posts, someone indicated that basting might be another alternative to foiling. I will try that next time.

The quest for my best ribs in the universe continues.

I *do* like the results I get with foil, it stops them from drying out and tenders them up too.
Instead of 3-2-1 try: 3 hours, 45 minutes in foil, then cook until finished.

morgan

Jerry,

If you followed 3-2-1 exactly, 2 hours is too long in the foil. I did baby backs yesterday and did 3-1-1 and they came out great.

I only leave my ribs in the foil for 45 minutes to an hour now at the most.

I attempted 3-2-1 this weekend and it ended up being 3-2-2. I wasn't too impressed. The flavor was good but the bark was really soft. I figured the extra hour would help that out but no dice. I've had good luck in the past w/o any foil so I think I'll stick to that.

I think that I did 5/.75/0 the first time (due to time pressure) with a pit temp of 220-225. Excellent ribs, but bones did not quite come out clean. Last time I did 4/1.75/.25 with a doneness test at 1.25. I think I overdid the foil this time. Next time will be something like 4/1.25/.5.

Back