First Time Tri Tip

Randy C

TVWBB Member
I smoked some tri tip exactly per instructions in the cooking forum. Wow, what a beautiful tasty piece of meat. Thanks to all for this fantastic forum!!!

Randy I know what you mean about tri-tip
wsmsmile8gm.gif
have you tried Chris receipt for pig-candy? being you already have the WSM up to temp give it a try simple but a real crowd pleaser during the Holidays.

Mike

The Tri-Tip recipe is what caused me to stumble across this site. It was the only one I found that walked you through the entire process. It has been a family favorite ever since.

Same thing here Robert but i was looking to do a smoked pork butt and ran across this site, great place frindly people & lots of info.

Mike

This was my favorite meat for awhile till I got a little tired of it. I'm tempted to go to the Costco by my house and get one of those 5-6 pack cryovac packages. $3.99 a pound and it sure does look good.

A Trader Joe's finally opened near us and I finally saw a tri-tip roast. All I've seen in Atlanta are the steaks at Costco.

What do most of you usually cook, the roast or the steaks?

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
A Trader Joe's finally opened near us and I finally saw a tri-tip roast. All I've seen in Atlanta are the steaks at Costco.

What do most of you usually cook, the roast or the steaks?

Rita
The roasts. I try to get the ones without marinade at TJ's. I just use some BBQ rub and indirect cook them with some oak wood.

Jim

Rita, here in my area, we all usually cook the roasts. They're much juicier and also cheaper by the pound. Tri-tips are definitely one of my favorite cuts of meat.

Rita do you have a Sam's club near you? if so give them a try for a roast. also try the cowboy rub I got from this board can't remember who posted it though everone loves it here.

Cowboy rub
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1 teaspoon finely ground coffee beans

Mike

I've never seen them as steaks. I took a roast and after cooking it tried cutting it like a steak. I didn't like that so much. I really like to thin slice a Tri-Tip. Makes a great sandwich.

I like to grill the tri-tip as steaks. If you start with a roast and steak it out just before grilling the steaks are very juicy. The roast makes for a fine sandwich as well, but tri-tip steaks are the 1st choice here.

Mike, sorry - I missed your post. We have a new Trader Joe's and I saw the roast there. Our Costco only sells the steaks. The Cowboy Rub sounds like just the thing and I'll give it a try ASP.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Mike, sorry - I missed your post. We have a new Trader Joe's and I saw the roast there.
Rita

New Trader Joe's on Roswell Rd.? I passed by there this fall on the way home from the airport (on a side trip to BBQ Galore for pecan chunks). It had a sign saying open soon - I was upset that it wasn't open for me. Next airport trip maybe a finally get my hands on some tri-tip...We'll see if I am in the mood to battle traffic in that part of town.

Pete, they are in the Sandy Springs Plaza shopping center (corner of Roswell Road & Johnson Ferry Road. It's the long strip mall on the right side as you're going north. Just renovated. If you have a GPS, here is their address:

6277 Roswell Road, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

If you know when you'll be there, you might call ahead and reserve a tri-tip. Their number is:

(404) 236-2414

Don't even think about going through Sandy Springs on a Friday from 11 to 2 and at rush hour any day, although early in the week might not be so bad. Email me privately and maybe we can work something out to get you a tri-tip.

Rita

Back