First time spares

Wil A

TVWBB Fan
I’ve been a baby back rib guy forever but decided to try my hand at some spares yesterday. I used my Masterbuilt smoker (I know, I know) to fix these. (Sidebar…I ordered a SnS for my Weber and was going to use that for a “first time for everything” cook, but the package was damaged during shipping and never even made it to my house).

I used a few dashes of Lawry’s and a whole lot of Killer Hogs (another first) The BBQ Rub to coat them after trimming. I smoked them with hickory and apple chips (rotating) for 3.5 hours @ 250 and spritzed with cherry juice. I wrapped them in butter, brown sugar, and honey for another 2ish hours and then sauced them with a mixture of Stubbs, brown sugar and The Original Japanese Barbecue Sauce and put them back in for almost another hour. They were 203 on the Thermapen when pulled.

Damn. After this, I honestly may never go back to baby backs! We had some homemade KFC copy cat coleslaw and baked beans, but no photos exist of them cut up or us eating them.

Here’s all I got for ya…

C23832F4-75C5-40A4-927D-28543783750E.jpeg

3BF39A3F-BCFC-4767-8AF4-345BC8A121CA.jpeg

E21D7911-305D-47AE-8DB1-76154AC8A1E9.jpeg

Hope you all had a great Easter!

I’ve been a baby back rib guy forever but decided to try my hand at some spares yesterday. I used my Masterbuilt smoker (I know, I know) to fix these. (Sidebar…I ordered a SnS for my Weber and was going to use that for a “first time for everything” cook, but the package was damaged during shipping and never even made it to my house).

I used a few dashes of Lawry’s and a whole lot of Killer Hogs (another first) The BBQ Rub to coat them after trimming. I smoked them with hickory and apple chips (rotating) for 3.5 hours @ 250 and spritzed with cherry juice. I wrapped them in butter, brown sugar, and honey for another 2ish hours and then sauced them with a mixture of Stubbs, brown sugar and The Original Japanese Barbecue Sauce and put them back in for almost another hour. They were 203 on the Thermapen when pulled.

Damn. After this, I honestly may never go back to baby backs! We had some homemade KFC copy cat coleslaw and baked beans, but no photos exist of them cut up or us eating them.

Here’s all I got for ya…

View attachment 49305

View attachment 49306

View attachment 49307

Hope you all had a great Easter!
Those look mighty tasty!
It's hard to imagine baby backs after doing St. Louis trim spares for many years. Not only are they juicier and more flavorful but all of the things you can do with the trimmings would be missed too. I'm with you on the honey, brown sugar and butter in the foil. Really makes for a nice finish, with or without additional glaze or sauce.

Back