First Time Smoking Spares...Any Input?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Have always done baby backs, however today I got an eight pound pack of spare ribs from Costco. This will be my first try at spares. I know the spares will take a little longer...Anything I should know before I start?

I like to remove the membrane, rub on the rub, foil, and refrigerate the night before.

Cook them the next day till the bone twists. I take them off, put on Bullseye sauce (12 yr old son's favorite), foil, and put in a dry cooler covered with towels for a couple of hours.

Still working on the technique, but my wife wishes I put as much attention to the front yard than I do ribs. I try to tell her ribs are more important.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

Dale,

I recently did a spare cook using Costco ribs. First off, they came out great!!

I used the rub from Steve Raichlen's BBQ book and put it on right before smoking the ribs. I used the MM with 1/2 ring of charcoal, 3 chunks of oak and 1 of hickory. It took about 5 1/2 hours using the tear test.

Hope this helps.

Dale-

If you have successfully cooked BB's, then you will be just fine with spares. They take longer (depending on how much you trim), but other than that, they are a pretty similar cook. Membrane, rib, smoke, foil (if that's your thing), test 'em for doneness, eat 'em. No worries!

I have been using the CostCo ribs for a while now, and they are my favorite for sure. In my area, they are Swift brand, and they are consistently good meat. Good luck, and check back and let us know how it goes!

Rich G.

Dale,

As always, my vote is for BRITU. I'm curious to see if you have the same experience I had going from BB to spares. I also get my meat from Costco. Although the flavor was awesome, I found the spares to be almost too meaty and much more messy to eat. I went back to BB...
Let us know how it turned out.

I like to trim 'em up Kansas City style (I think that's St. Louis style with the skirt meat removed, or maybe it's the other way around, anyway...) Remove the membrane, cut away the skirt meat, sternum cartilage "bones", and the rib tip. Here's a page from "Teddy Bear BBQ" that shows the process: Teddy Bear BBQ rib trimming

Put rub on all that stuff and fit it in the BBQ also. Those smaller pieces give you something to nibble on a few hours into the cook. Just to taste test the end product! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif A cook's gotta keep a handle on what's goin' on!

Hey Dale,

When you are done with the ribs smoking, try placing them directly on the grill over the remaining coals in the smoker for a little braising and baste with some sauce for a few minutes.

Everyone who samples these love the taste!

Regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back