First time smoking ever today...

Scott Ulrich

All I can say is WOW!

Amazing.

I have thought about trying to smoke before, but I found this message board, read for several hours and then RAN to the store yesterday to get a bullet.

I decided to do spare ribs and chicken, following the BRITU method for the ribs.

I used hickory and apple wood and 5 1/2 hours later I was awarded with better ribs than I could have imagined. Better than I can find at any Que place around here anyway. I live in Michigan and got hooked on Que on trips to Memphis and Texas.

I told my buddies I would make them some really good ribs -- taking a risk on my first try. I like a dry rib for just the smoky flavor, but I did one slab dry and one with sauce at the end and both turned out great, both rubbed and basted with apple juice. I should have made more, they disappeared pretty fast. One of my buddies is a chef at a chop house -- he's running out to by a smoker ASAP.

So thanks to this message board -- I am now hooked. Can't wait to do a brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So thanks to this message board -- I am now hooked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you and me both, pal! I did my first smoke 2 days ago, turned out exquisite (Pork Spare Ribs), even my little petite girlfreind insisted that make a whole rack next time for her!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Hoofman:
Two Scotts from Michigan? Gotta like that. Welcome aboard. What part are you from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I live near Detroit now, in Royal Oak. Used to live in GR so I've been out to Lowell a few times to the Showboat. Still there?

Welcome Scott. You will see that Michigan is well represented on this board. A lot of folks (including me) have learned about all they know about BBQ from this board. It's a great resource. I'm sure you'll get a lot out of visiting here and before long, you'll be helping someone out. It's important to learn to cook BBQ in Michigan - to date, I don't know of one really good BBQ resturant in Michigan. I too have been to Memphis and Texas and there just ain't nothin' like that round these parts.

Hey Jerry,

Thanks, I have found one really good barbecue place in Michigan. Lazybone's in Roseville, the owner was a chef at The Golden Mushroom which was one of the best restaurants in the area. I guess he got the barbecue bug because he opened up a pit in what used to be his father's old truck stop. He uses only Michigan apple wood and the flavor is great. First time I had burnt ends was there and it convinced me that I should try this. It's kind of a hike for me though and this was a whole lot of fun.

The Showboat is still going strong. Lowell is growing like crazy. We even have a Meijer now!
icon_cool.gif

Hey Scott,

Glad to here it, I had lot's of fun there in the past.

Now, consoling myself over the Piston's loss I'm enjoying the other part of 'cue, the leftovers. I put some rub on a bunch of chicken wings and threw them on the smoker with the ribs and the whole chickens and let them smolder for about four hours and then finished them on my grill. Best wings cold. I brought some to the bar for my friends and they demolished them. They even told me that if I would cook these more often that they would pay for the meat,ribs, chicken -- whatever.

It's either a first good day smoking or people that have never tasted the real thing. Pretty sure that it is the latter.

Anyway, after seeing pictures on the site, I decided to post a picture of my first effort.

It looks pretty to me, tasted even better.

69e628.jpg

Hope that worked. They were pretty good and I'm fairly happy with my first effort.

Also, the guy that makes Billy Bones BBQ Rub from Sanford, MI has a good thing going. It is really good on the chicken too, great flavor and just the right amount of spice.

I'm sure that his stuff has a lot to do with why people like my "cookin" tonight.

Fantastic Scott!
(can I post round here, looks like Michigan only
icon_wink.gif
)
Welcome. I think I recall the feeling after the first cook: "Wow, it really works!"

morgan

Welcome to our online family.

Congratulations on your great smoke.

The major problem with doing BBQ yourself (with the bullet) is it tastes sooooo good! It ruined my wife and her family for the local BBQ Q places. Low & slow is the way to go!

Nice looking Ribs Scott!!! You just convinced me of what is for dinner tonight!!!

Oh, and by the way, HOW BOUT THEM SPURS!!!!!!!!!

What a great series it turned out to be. Much better, even though the pistons won, than last years piston/lakers series. The reason the pistons couldn't hit a shot last night was probably not he spurs defense, but rather, all the Q' they ate in San Antonio.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Man you are right, that was the best series I've ever seen in any sport, two great teams that went down to the wire.

I heard that quite a few of the Pistons players were spotted at our World Famous Hooters on the Riverwalk the night before game 7. Those girls will put a spell on anyone!!!

Scott,

Welcome to the board, those ribs look great. I just thought I'd let you know that I had the pleasure of meeting Billy Bones at Cabella's in Dundee last weekend at the BBQ cook-off.

Talk about knowing your stuff! That guy could sit and talk about Q for hours. He sampled some of the home made rub that the guy I was cooking with made and offered some advice and opinions. I told him that I had used his sauce often and his rub but was running low. He has come out with a new competition rub that is now available on his web site.

Well enough about that, welcome again, I'm in Utica so we're not that far away, I'll have to check out that Roseville place.

Back