First time smoked salmon

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
I used to make smoked salmon on the reg on the Traeger. I was always over cooking it but it was always a favourite.
So I started out around 6:00 this morning with the dry brine, I left it to brine for about 6 hours. I took it out and rinsed it very well. Let it sit on cooling racks for a few hours then put it in the fridge for a couple hours. Took it out 30 minutes before the grill was hot.
I started about a 1/4 chimney of lump got it nice n hot and dumped it on top of some Weber briquettes....added a small piece of cherry and brought the temp up to 200. Added the salmon, I cooked it skin side down on a piece of tin foil as low as I could. I added another piece of cherry when needed. The bottom vent was about closed and I ran a 210 to 220 for about 40 minutes. Without fail the temp was slowly climbing, it was about 230 after 40 minutes or so. I was hoping to get my honey glaze on at about 125 or so but didn’t seem to notice until the internal temp was 140. So I added the warmed honey and a few twists of black pepper. I only let it sit about 8 more minutes, I didn’t want to over cook the fish. It came out excellent, way better than I thought it would for my first run. Served it with some steamed spinach and some spicy rice. Got the kudos from the MRS so that is what counts.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 5F555781-1CEC-4C62-8E6E-61D83F47C77E.jpeg
    5F555781-1CEC-4C62-8E6E-61D83F47C77E.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 17
  • C425749D-BE3D-43E2-962D-3D47C7002575.jpeg
    C425749D-BE3D-43E2-962D-3D47C7002575.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 14
  • D62DF337-E351-46C4-90C6-7652F40107A4.jpeg
    D62DF337-E351-46C4-90C6-7652F40107A4.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 61578D44-9B85-4B12-81F5-6194823FF6C9.jpeg
    61578D44-9B85-4B12-81F5-6194823FF6C9.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 555E24A5-0EA1-4C5B-980E-43BA7C5ED01B.jpeg
    555E24A5-0EA1-4C5B-980E-43BA7C5ED01B.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 15
  • A1B6930E-6F0B-40F9-B0E2-1F8A3923E29A.jpeg
    A1B6930E-6F0B-40F9-B0E2-1F8A3923E29A.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
  • CE880028-DFAD-4AA3-B10C-6CE3C110B39E.jpeg
    CE880028-DFAD-4AA3-B10C-6CE3C110B39E.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17
Looks like you did a good job.

been smoking salmon fir decades. In fact it was the first thing I ever smoked on my own at age 10 in my Luhr Jenson Little Chief smoker.
Still use the same method 4:1 sugar to salt ratio dry brine for 6-8 hours. Rinse, season, air dry, smoke. Typically use alder and run the pit around 170°f. Always cooked to firmness until I learned about internal temps. First time I stuck a probe I was surprised to find that the firmness I’d been taught many moons ago was pretty close to 140°.

The colour came out less dark than I expected but like I said before I always over cooked it, to the point where all the edges where pretty heavy in colour. The salmon itself last night was juicy and full of a rich tasting fat, it was probably served about 147 or so. I did use the 4 to 1 ratio of brown sugar to non iodized salt. Over all very happy, just wished the glaze was applied with 30 minutes left to cook to firm up. Tomorrow I will flake some for a salmon salad on a bun maybe with some pickles for a work lunch. I have seen these big and little chief smokers and had considered getting one over the past couple of months as I didn't think I could smoke low enough to achieve what I did on Sunday. I may be mistaken but do they not only cook on one temp and that is 170 for smoking primarily fish?
Thanks for the compliments, it took 12 hours could have done it in 10 probably.

Yep the chief smokers have on temp and it’s around 170°. They really are for smoking things like fish and jerky. They also need to be used in moderate climates and out of the wind.

Yeah same one I was looking into then, I seen they do have a coat....or a blanket fitted wrap for them that you can use in colder weather.
An electric heating element to heat up a little pan of wood chips too if I remember right.
Good news I don't have to drop a couple of hundred on one now.....
While I find it impossible to smoke for any period over 40 minutes steady at a 210 or something low like that on my kettle, I was able to keep it bouncing around 210 to 230 for 40 minutes until it really does start to heat up. Even then it can sit a t 250 or just under for quite a while. Raw charcoal on the bottom of the SNS, water tray filled up, lit maybe 12 pieces medium to small of lump and put it on top in one corner of the SNS with the wood, I had the bottom vent closed once it went up past 225 and it dropped to 205. I basically opened it up like a fingernails width and let it do its thing from there.
It is why I haven't tried jerky on it yet....I need that 180 to 200 for 2 hours to get what I am looking for.
Getting inspired to make some salmon soon???? ;)

I got a “Tip Top” temperature regulator a while back, used it once and it worked really well the kettle kept a pretty solid 225 for about six hours if I remember correctly. You have to calculate the ambient temp into how it works and set the thing accordingly. There is a table for that. I should get it out and do some ribs again.

While all these devices to assist with the cook are handy, I feel I don't really want the assistance as silly as it sounds. I can see the benefit in situations like if you start a brisket at 10 pm for an overnight cook at 225 but I don't get into that situation too often nor do I have the WSM. I have my Traeger sold.....I think and that was as easy as it comes. I love the challenge and the ability to learn and make adjustments for the next cook. What I should do is write these things down..........I don't of course and when it comes time to cook something again 6 months later it's almost like guessing again, that is my own bad....

I used to make smoked salmon on the reg on the Traeger. I was always over cooking it but it was always a favourite.
So I started out around 6:00 this morning with the dry brine, I left it to brine for about 6 hours. I took it out and rinsed it very well. Let it sit on cooling racks for a few hours then put it in the fridge for a couple hours. Took it out 30 minutes before the grill was hot.
I started about a 1/4 chimney of lump got it nice n hot and dumped it on top of some Weber briquettes....added a small piece of cherry and brought the temp up to 200. Added the salmon, I cooked it skin side down on a piece of tin foil as low as I could. I added another piece of cherry when needed. The bottom vent was about closed and I ran a 210 to 220 for about 40 minutes. Without fail the temp was slowly climbing, it was about 230 after 40 minutes or so. I was hoping to get my honey glaze on at about 125 or so but didn’t seem to notice until the internal temp was 140. So I added the warmed honey and a few twists of black pepper. I only let it sit about 8 more minutes, I didn’t want to over cook the fish. It came out excellent, way better than I thought it would for my first run. Served it with some steamed spinach and some spicy rice. Got the kudos from the MRS so that is what counts.
Thanks for looking.
Great pelicle
Thanks for looking.
Thanks for looking.
That’s some good looking salmon Darryl. Enjoyed seeing the nicely formed pellicle prior to cooking.

Back