First time smoke today

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Took my maiden voyage today. 3 racks of spares prepped as per Chris's instructions, Minion method used to fire it up. I think I put the meat on a little too quick, temp at the lid was about 220. That was measured with a cheap deep fry thermometer. (very cheap). Started the Kingsford at 11:20 am in the chimney, filled the charcoal chamber to about 3/4's full. At ll;45 I scattered the lit coals over the unlit charcoal in the pan, filled the water pan with hot water, then at 12 noon I put the skirt meat on the bottom grate and the slabs on the top, replaced the lid. The temp read about 220. Then I remembered I should have waited till the temp was 250. All the bottom vents were open. I put 5 small chunks of hickory (dry) on the fire. I planned on a 6 hour smoke time. When the temp did raach 250 I closed the bottom vents which held it steady between 240-255. I turned and basted the slabs with apple juice at 3 pm, again at 4:30. Checked for doneness at 6:00. Meat pulled away from the bones easily. Success!! The neighbors wanted to know what the good smell was! The thing I noted each time I opened the smoker was I never saw the water boiling. Was that just my bad eyesight?
smile.gif
Anyway, Chris thanks for the great site, and great instruction. The ribs are excellent! The Minion method is the way to go!
Great Q'ing!!

------------------
JT

Thanks for the post! Always glad to hear about a success on a maiden voyage like yours.

You won't see the water boil in the pan at the temps we cook at. I guess it would have to be a whole lot hotter in the cooker before you'd see that. Anyone have a better explanation?

Have fun,
Chris

Johnny-

Sounds like you had a great first time out! When can I come over for ribs?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back