First time pizza maker.....

Dave Coughlin

Hi guys....

I've enjoyed this site for the past couple of years but just got around to signing up, today. I'm honestly impressed by the knowledge that can be found on this forum.

Tonight I decided to try my hand at making a pizza on my 18.5" Weber kettle grill. I honestly didn't know this was possible until I stumbled across the "kettle pizza" attachment a few days ago.

Being frugal, (okay, cheap), I decided to forego the kettle pizza and instead use a rigged kettle grill and I have to say that the results were pretty amazing.

I took the top grill grate out of my WSM and placed it upside down on the Weber kettle grate.
I then placed a cheap pizza stone on top of the WSM grate and let it heat up with a combination of a full chimney of lump charcoal and 4 large fist sized pieces of hickory wood.

I also took a metal hot dog fork, ( basically a 3 foot long, metal hot dog stick that can be found at any walmart store), and placed it in between the two grates. This kept the lid of the Weber off of the base by about a half an inch.

After the stone was good and hot I placed a 14" pizza onto the stone. I had the pizza resting on a piece of parchment paper which was sitting on the bottom side of a pizza pan. The transfer was so easy I am still amazed. It seems as if many people have a lot of trouble with the transfer but this was completely effortless.

After just a couple of minutes I was able to remove the parchment paper so that the crust could crisp up. I didn't time the two pizzas that I cooked tonight but I would guess that they took somewhere around 8 to 10 minutes each. Once was smaller and cooked quite a bit faster but I would say that 8 to 10 minutes is a fair average.

My family is pretty picky when it comes to pizza but these were a complete success! The kids loved them, as did my wife. We've decided that this weekend is dedicated to more pizza making so at that time I will try to snap a few pics of the setup and the resulting pizza.

I was honestly planning on destroying a few pizzas before figuring out the process but thanks to reading on this site it was a success out of the chute.

Thanks to everyone who has given advice on how to cook pizzas on a Weber kettle. This has opened a whole new world of cooking possibilities for me! :)

What, no pictures? We love to see your cooks. Anyway sounds like it turned out awsome and it sounds like you made your own "pizza oven" Good job and welcome to the forum.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum

you mentioned your WSM, here's a challenge for your WSM, using a Kettle lid

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55794-Pizza-on-the-WSM-via-Kettle-Pizza

And here's a cook (take out) using a cast iron disk for a lid

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57959-Pappa-Murphy-s-on-Frankenstein-2-0

Chuck, between the KP, that CI discada, the WSM, mini, all those kettles... I'd say you have pretty much infinite combinations at your disposal. And I have most of those things also - you sir, are an inspiration.
:flagkettle:

Man, Chuck.....that looks great! It seems I still have some work to do.
I wanted one of the Kettle Pizza attachments but my wife did NOT agree with the price tag. I'll have one eventually but so far I'm winging it without one.
The pizza is still tasty but I'd love to play with one of the Kettle Pizzas. Thanks for sharing.

Oh....and I just tried to put some photos up on a different post but for some reason they didn't show up. Hopefully someone can help me figure out what I did wrong...

Chris....thank you so much. That link helped me greatly. From a fellow "Illinoisan" I appreciate it. (I'm a southern Illinoisan).

Back