First time making spatchcock chicken on a WSM

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
Well it reached 65 up in MN yesterday, which for us is basically summer haha, so I had to fire up the 18.5" WSM. Ok who am I kidding, I've been firing it up ever since it hit the 30's consistently. I also recently decided to order a PartyQ so that I can plug it in and forget about it when we disappear for an hour or two, since my SO just cannot get enough of Target. I decided these birds were the perfect test and never had to mess with the temps for 3 hours after i initially let the WSM get up to temp on it's own. They turned out fantastic, and it really did sell me on a temperature controller. Don't get me wrong, the WSM barely needs attention as is, but this really was set and forget.

Attachments

• 1 - sMVuXRS.jpg
    1 - sMVuXRS.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2 - 3KnzvjE.jpg
    2 - 3KnzvjE.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 54
  • 3 - gUHQOhl.jpg
    3 - gUHQOhl.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 4 - mGZZA9v.jpg
    4 - mGZZA9v.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 53
Where is the recipe? lol
I didn’t do anything fancy haha. I didn’t brine, just rinsed it off with cold water, pat dry, sprayed olive oil on it and used a seasoning from a local meat market chain. Then I ran it around 270 for 3 hours and finished in the oven at like 375 for 20 min (no preheat)

Nice spatched bird. In my opinion the only way to cook non-parted out birds.

I too thought I'd only use the Party Q only every once in a while. I've found now that I am using all of the time.

Great looking bird. Getting ready to cook my first one in a few days. I can't decide whether I want to cook it at 275 or more like 325. Also like the ATCD, I've wanted one for a while.

Great looking bird. Getting ready to cook my first one in a few days. I can't decide whether I want to cook it at 275 or more like 325. Also like the ATCD, I've wanted one for a while.
Thanks. I actually cooked up a pair again yesterday. Unless you’re opposed to finishing in the oven, I’m sticking with the method of 270 for 3 hours and 20-30 min at 375 to finish and crisp up the skin.

Thanks. I actually cooked up a pair again yesterday. Unless you’re opposed to finishing in the oven, I’m sticking with the method of 270 for 3 hours and 20-30 min at 375 to finish and crisp up the skin.
Not opposed to it at all. I ended up cooking mine at 325 and it was juicy and skin was crispy. I'll be cooking my next one on the kettle with the SnS to compare flavor profiles. I assume they will be about the same.

Back